Who is the most successful doper of all time now?

Outsider art by Loan
edited January 2013 in Pro race
With Lance dethroned, who is the new GOAT? WHO?
1968, human content on bitumen.

Comments

• I guess it must be Eddie Merkx. I think it's generally recognised that he used various drugs and as the most successful cyclist of all time it seems a slam dunk.
    Over 50mph on Malaucene descent
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Merckx, clearly. I wouldn't equate "successful" with "worst" though, I think Lance will always retain that title.
  • Merckx, Coppi, both well ahead in the doping game.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tommasi
    tommasi Posts: 40
    Messi or Maradona
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Merckx, but there is a big difference between amphets and blood doping or EPO. If both were totally drugless Armstrong would have been obliterated by Merckx.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Merckx, Coppi, both well ahead in the doping game.
    That was all stimulants though, hardly career changing stuff. Nothing like the steroids of the 80s an blood doping since.

Besides, in Coppi's days there werent any banned substances, so no doping. He didnt do anything illegal.

It depends how the question is intended. Most successful rider to have doped, clearly Merckx. Rider to have most successfully built his career through doping and maintained his status as a successful rider, perhaps Indurain is not a bad choice. He's still not really recognised by the general public as a doper/cheat/liar etc.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    With Lance dethroned, who is the new GOAT? WHO?

5055032357_69d1d1be72.jpg
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    FJS wrote:
    Merckx, Coppi, both well ahead in the doping game.
    That was all stimulants though, hardly career changing stuff. Nothing like the steroids of the 80s an blood doping since.

Besides, in Coppi's days there werent any banned substances, so no doping. He didnt do anything illegal.

It depends how the question is intended. Most successful rider to have doped, clearly Merckx. Rider to have most successfully built his career through doping and maintained his status as a successful rider, perhaps Indurain is not a bad choice. He's still not really recognised by the general public as a doper/cheat/liar etc.

You also have to consider that stimulants were available over the counter, in France at least, until the 60s or 70s, so were not considered doping.

I would have to say Contador. He has been in so many dodgy teams and involved with so many dodgy individuals, had so many doubts and so much flack thrown at him, yet he has managed to come through "almost" unscathed. He seems to be made of teflon. (Other none stick products are also available).
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Lance Armstrong is the most successful doper of all time.
    He changed the face of cycle racing for all of us. (how many on this forum came because of him)
    2nd most successful is Bjarne Riis who even Indurain couldn't keep up with. :roll:
    Then pick anyone you like from that Telekom (T Mobile) team. The most successful company made out of Cycling Doping.
    mike6 wrote:
    You also have to consider that stimulants were available over the counter, in France at least, until the 60s or 70s, so were not considered doping.
    FJS wrote:
    Many years ago I heard it said after the Simpson death "that when you joined the Pro Race Peloton you quickly learned to buy amphetamines so you could last the day.)
    More or less a level playing field then. :!:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Arnold Schwarzenegger
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:
    Arnold Schwarzenegger
    I don't think armstrong will be that successful to be a Governor though. :!:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Whoever the OP is he's a fcuking idiot.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:

^This
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Before I kill myself, can you tell me why?
    1968, human content on bitumen.
  • Linford Christie?

Banned for 2 years after failing drugs test then goes on to coach other athletes.

Armstrong is banned for life so can't compete and I doubt if he has the mettle for coaching, so therefore not as successful as as Christie, if of course you are talking about LA????
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Before I kill myself, can you tell me why?
    You'll figure it out
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    Linford Christie?

Banned for 2 years after failing drugs test then goes on to coach other athletes.

Armstrong is banned for life so can't compete and I doubt if he has the mettle for coaching, so therefore not as successful as as Christie, if of course you are talking about LA????
    You mean getting banned after he had already effectively retired and was arsing about in a non competition invite event, the comparisons aren't even remotely close. :roll:
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Carl Lewis for doing it over multiple Olympics.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    OT but its got to be Rapha Nadal, in fact most of ProTour tennis
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Monty Dog wrote:
    OT but its got to be Rapha Nadal, in fact most of ProTour tennis

Speaking of Tennis

"Saddened Federer says Armstrong's cheating hurt all sport"

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/01/2 ... 1C20130120

Most successful doper of all time, got to have an honourable mention for some of the 100m sprinters right?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    Jeez, some people have even added their votes in the poll! Even if Wiggins is using drugs I'm not sure he would count as the most successful doper of all.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    k-dog wrote:
    Carl Lewis for doing it over multiple Olympics.

I would agree with this.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... trial.html

Only the cyclists being investigated.