Just new to road cyling

duffydotcom
duffydotcom Posts: 12
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I just bought the 2013 Specialized Allez to coincide with my natural bodybuilding, using it obviously for cardio. My first time out hurt the hell out of my arse and my hands ached a little between the thumb and first finger. This led me to want to know what you think is the best gear for road bikes (within a reasonable price) such as padded tights, gloves, helmets, shoes, what ever you may think I could benefit from I'd love to know! Thanks :D

Comments

• Wiggle's own brand DHB represents good value, and make everything you're after, and more, bar the helmet.

As for what you actually need...

Winter tights and a long sleeve winter jersey are the basics of winter cyclewear. Generally if it has 'Roubaix' in the name it will be warm and fleecy. Something underneath your jersey is a good idea; I just use my summer jersey because I'm poor, but a merino base layer would be the best choice. Those two combined should be enough, but there are jackets and gilets if not. Make sure your winter jersey is windproof; this pays dividends.

Gloves-wise, I use Specialized BG mitts and like them a lot; on my second pair in about 7 years. There are lots of choices, though, and the amount of padding you want is quite personal. At this time of year you will be wanting warm winter ones, which I can't help you with as I just wear cheap fleece gloves over my mitts.

Shoes (and pedals)-wise, if you have any intention of doing any walking, you want Shimano SPD MTB pedals and shoes with recessed cleats. They are also easier to get in and out of. Shimano (which I use), Specialized and DHB are all popular choices in shoes, but as with most footwear they really need to fit. If you aren't so bothered about walking you could go for 'road' pedals (Shimano SPD-SL/Look) and shoes (they need to be drilled for 3 bolt cleats), but it's not a big deal; they are only pedals and you have nothing to lose in opting for practicality just as 'road' pedals won't make you any faster.

Beyond that, you need lights (CatEye make good ones), and the basics for repairing punctures and reuniting a broken chain. Take some tyre levers, a spare inner tube and your choice of puncture repair kit. A multi-tool is also a good idea, and you can get ones with chain tools (or you can carry a smaller multi-tool and dedicated chain tool; it doesn't make much difference). If I were to buy one tomorrow I'd probably go for a Carradice 11-in-1. Hope not to need any of it!

Enjoy. That's the most important thing. :)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    To make the experience more enjoyable it is certainly worth investing in some decent padded bib shorts. The quality of pad varies wildly and having a good one really is worth it.

Then some unpadded bib tights. This allows you to have the greater flexibility as you can wear the bib tights over the shorts in cold weather or just the shorts when it is not. It also removes the need to find yet another decent pad in the tights.

Layers is the key in the cold so it is worth going for a base layer and winter jersey/jacket. A mid layer is also nice if you have the budget.

I found that a long sleeve base layer and long sleeve winter jersey with windproof front is generally enough.

A packable Gilet is also a really useful item as this can be put on over everything else if it gets super chilly or taken off and rolled into a pocket when not required.

I find gloves are also best with a layered approach and you can get liners and outers which can then be worn together or separately to give more flexibility.

Obviously a helmet is essential and again the vast array on offer is a bit daunting but I have found that KASK seem to offer the best VFM (but this is very personal so you need to go to a LBS and try as many as you can).

A you can see from these few posts there is really quite a lot of options and you need to start basic and then build up as you find what works for you.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    On dale cycles at the minute they haves Scott bib shorts for £18.99 ish. They are brown so look a bit sh!t but they are very very comfortable. And you can just put clobber over the top of them.
    I layer up in this weather with a couple of base layers, one short sleeved, one long. Then a t shirt or something like that, then a cycling jacket (that was money well spent) toastie warm last few days.
    There's always base layers going cheap online or TK Max are really good for them or sports direct.