Rear wheel position

Uli
Uli Posts: 190
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
I got my rear wheel back from LBS trued and with nicely tensioned spokes. I put it on and it appears the wheel is not seating centrally between seatstays and chainstays. It is moved about 8-10 mm to left side (non drive side). I double checked QR tension and if hub is properly fixed in the dropouts but it seems fine. The question: is it something I can ride with or the wheel is not correctly dished and should go back to LBS?
thx

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    how is it if you flip it in the drop outs? keep the mech off the disc.

and what frame?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    I haven't tried to turn it around (I may give it a go tomorrow). It is hardtail, hoodoo frame and I am almost positive it was fine before.
    Edit:
    I have flipped the wheel today (had to remove rear mech) and the position was in centre. Put it back as it should be and then it moves slightly to the left.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,170
    sounds like the dishing is out. it should be possible to measure it at home; never triued it but what I wpuld do is get 3 idetical tins of beans and place them on a flat surface. lay the tyre rim on them (obviouosly no tyres fitted), then measure the disatn from the locknut on the spinder to the surface.

flip wheel so it lies on the opposite side and measure again. I woud like my wheels to be within a couple of mm.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,170
    double post :oops:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Just take it back, it may well be dished centrally in which case either your frame is bent of it is supposed to be asymmetric. Either way, you should dish the wheel to the frame.