Hope pro 2 front hub bearings.

chris_mbuk
chris_mbuk Posts: 40
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, got loads of play on my front wheel and im not sure how to remove the c clip and the bearings from it to replace them, anyone tell me what tools i need and how to do it ? thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Chcked out the Hope tech docs?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • yea but just goes on about the rear hub ?
  • Simples, ignore anything you read about presses etc tools etc, not necessary. The following g will work 100% f you do it carefully.
    The clip holding in your adapters, in my case 20mm thru axle, has a 3mm gap. One side of gap is square, the other tapered.
    Use a pick or small flathead driver to prise up the clip on the taperd side, will come off easy then just easy pull off your adapters to expose sealed cartridge bearing.
    Between each bearing inside the hub is a plastic tube. You can put a screw driver in from any one side of the hub and you will be able to easily push the tube to one side a couple of mm to reveal the back side of the opposite bearing cartridge or at least about 2mm or more of the inner circle.
    Now you have to get that cartridfe bearing out. I use a large flat head driver down through the hub and tap gently moving the driver around the bearing a bit at a time so you are getting the bearing out evenly. This might work with just the flat of your palm hitting down on the driver, if using a rubber mallet just go steady as you need the bearing to be pushed out evenly to avoid damaging hub. Don't worry if you are placing the driver on the bearing seals which damages it as you are pushing it out to dispose of it anyway to fit new ones.
    Onnce out, the tube piece can drop out. You can flip the wheel over and push the other bearing out with driver or even use the tube now, which pushes it out nice and even for you.
    Let me know once they are out and I'll let you know how to get new ones in.
    I bought my bearings from katec bikes online £15 great service and bearing quality is superb.