frozen or just knackered?

cathymark74
cathymark74 Posts: 21
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Went on my regular tuesday off road night ride and lost all the positive air in both legs of my 2005 marzocchi All Mountain sl forks, my mates newer RS forks were fine even though it was -4. We all had some mechanical issue due to freezing components, cables, brakes but i lost the forks completely, i was wondering if this is a sign that the seals want replacing and should i do the bushes as well or are these doppio air forks just too difficult to work on and live with?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It could be lots of things, defrost and try again, it's possible there was some moisture in the seals (inside the fork, not the visible ones) or valve that froze and opened a leak path, in which case a service to prevent future failures may help.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I would like to service them as i got them 6 months ago on a complete bike so know nothing of there history or use and thought i should replace seals and bushes but as it is the doppio air with tons of seals, air chambers and adjustments i am more than concerened about stripping it down. I've done z4's & junior t,s but mechanically those are very basic but the doppio air sounds to be difficult and i might spend lots of money and have more problems thani started with! So should i consider a new fork?