OT - campsites in France

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi there, looking for a week or two with wife and 2 year old at a campsite that has pool / waterpark and some entertainment. Ideally Brittany or Normandy so not too much driving from the ferry but could push out a bit further south if really worth it. Really appreciate any pointers! Thanks :)

Comments

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    We took my nieces here a few years back for the half term May/June break, and it was pretty good. Close to lots of little towns, decent pool, entertainment, a little shop, laundry, showers etc.
    There was also a decent indoor pool not far away which we used sometimes when it was just too hot - slides, jacuzzi and all that kind of stuff.

http://www.eurocamp.co.uk/sites/france- ... tique.html
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • msmancunia
    Actually, looks like it's even had a refurb since we went and it was pretty good then! The pool looks fab.
  • clarkey cat
    That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm looking for! Thanks very much. :D
  • msmancunia
    Excellent! I'll stick an invoice for my consultation fee in the post.

BTW Benodet up the coast is lovely for lunch/beach/shop/dinner/whatever too.
  • We went here in Brittany, which was an OK site but the weather was not great.
    http://www.eurocamp.co.uk/sites/france- ... airie.html

so last year we pushed a bit further south and went here
    http://www.eurocamp.co.uk/sites/france- ... euils.html
    which was a very nice site, we hope to get back there this year. I think it was about 4 hours drive from Caen, but much much cheaper from Dover. We'll go via Dover this year to keep costs down despite the longer drive.
  • clarkey cat
    The Dover-Calais makes a lot of sense actually - Portsmouth - St.Malo with a cabin was going to cost about £400 but crossing at Dover is just £50. But then if we're over at the east my preference would be to push down to Burgundy. These Eurocamp places are all over and they look great - one question though, can you take your own tents?

The prices seem to suggest you using one of their (admittedly very nice) pre-erected tents. But if I can save a couple of hundred by taking my own then that would be great.
  • msmancunia
    I got the train from Paris to Quimper, but I think the when the others got the ferry they did the Plymouth - Roscoff crossing.

We stayed in a static caravan as we had a couple of oldies who wanted "proper beds", but I'm pretty sure at the one we went to there was a mix of statics, pre-erected tents, bring your owns, and mobile homes/caravans. This was maybe eight years ago now though, so probably best giving them a ring.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    okay so it's not camping but we stayed in this keycamp last year. It's quite cheap but it's actually really nice and Deauville and Trouville are excellent places to stay/eat out, just generally wander around
    FCN = 4
  • Keycamp / Eurocamp (same parent company) mainly provide the accommodation as well. but there is an independent travel option. http://www.eurocampindependent.co.uk/ all of the same sites and you can use all of the facilities such as kids clubs.

We are seriously thinking about it for this year although we are 40 mins from Portsmouth 2 weeks in a mobile home in school holidays is £3k, £2.5k through Dover. Or taking our own kit, a folding camper towed with the car, is about £1k via Dover. Big savings in the school holidays, it didn't seem such great savings in term time. 2 weeks in early June in a mobile home is £750, this is our other option.
  • clarkey cat
    That is really helpful. We have decent gear for camping (glamping) so would prefer to use our own if possible.