Chinese Carbon Road Frames

2»

Comments

• Of course Nike pay duty, but they pay it on the value of the goods they are importing which in the case of your example is £2.50.

The price they sell the shoes for has nothing to do with import duty or import VAT (the sales price of £90 will include £15 of output VAT however which they will collect on behalf of the Government).

The Government do explain all of it, go on the HMRC website and it is all explained. The money collected goes into the Exchequer like any other tax.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    spanner239 wrote:
    Of course Nike pay duty, but they pay it on the value of the goods they are importing which in the case of your example is £2.50.

How can the value be £2.50 if people are prepared to pay £90.00 for them?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Manc33 wrote:
    spanner239 wrote:
    Of course Nike pay duty, but they pay it on the value of the goods they are importing which in the case of your example is £2.50.

How can the value be £2.50 if people are prepared to pay £90.00 for them?

'Cos they find that cost acceptable for what they are buying, simple. Accpetable in terms of actual cost and effort to make the purchase. If they don't like the cost, they either don't buy, dont buy that brand/model, or try and source elsewhere (lke using the internet to search). But whatever, when the item gets imported, import duty on the amount paid (NOT the cost to produce) plus VAT on that total, is chargeable. You think those Chinese manufacturers aren't charging an equally high mark-up on the CF frames they're selling? Dream on. And it not "this government" (disgusting though they are) it's been going on for ooh, I dont know, at least 300 years (import duty I mean). Probably much longer.
  • Manc33
    I even read customs have different duty depending on whether a watch has a leather, metal or rubber strap!

They must be absolute geniuses to know exactly what should be added to every single product.

It should be like the US where you choose to pay tax. They have an option to "file a 1040" or not. I even heard a radio host say on air he has never paid that tax in years and years. Think about how Income Tax is taken from your earnings before you even get your earnings, the legalities of that baffle me. It fascinates me this stuff lol, for all the wrong reasons. Kinda like a guy smacking me in the back with a baseball bat would fascinate me.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Where does all the money go when we pay customs? Manc33 what do you think taxes pay for? Where does the government get money for the NHS, defence, infrastructure and whatever else it pays for?
    Are you trolling or are you seriously asking why government collects tax, of which import duty is one. You can't set up a business and then not pay import tax, it's just collected a different way to if you imported personally.
  • Manc33
    I guess my main issue with it is no one in their right mind would have ever "voted in" such a thing.
  • Manc33 wrote:
    I guess my main issue with it is no one in their right mind would have ever "voted in" such a thing.

Only someone who wasn't in their right mind would vote against the provision of public services such as hospitals, education, roads, libraries etc. etc. etc., paid thought via central taxation. Not least because when such services are supplied through the private sector as part of a so-called low-tax economy, they are inevitably more expensive due to the huge rake off taken as profits by shareholders and the obscene amount paid to management and executives. What's more a large part of the public are effectively priced out of 'the market', with all the social implications this has.
    Manc33 wrote:
    It should be like the US where you choose to pay tax.

Yeah right. The US with its 20% poverty rate and blind faith in Ayn Rand's doctrine of "the virtue of selfishness". :roll:

What you say convinces me that the government needs to raise even more taxes, it clearly isn't spending enough on education! :lol:
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • Does anyone has any experience withe these frames fron deng fu ?
    http://dengfubikes.com/product/detail.php?id=115,from this frame I'm mostly concerned about the aerobar that maybe it's not as safe and strong like vision,3T ...
    http://dengfubikes.com/product/detail.php?id=137
    any suggestions and thoughts ?
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Manc33 wrote:
    It should be like the US where you choose to pay tax. They have an option to "file a 1040" or not. I even heard a radio host say on air he has never paid that tax in years and years. Think about how Income Tax is taken from your earnings before you even get your earnings, the legalities of that baffle me. It fascinates me this stuff lol, for all the wrong reasons. Kinda like a guy smacking me in the back with a baseball bat would fascinate me.
    Not sure where you got this information but it's completely wrong. There is no choice to pay taxes here, you pay or you get fined and/or go to jail and income taxes are taken out of each paycheck. The tax collectors here have more power to pursue tax evaders than the police have to go after murderers (no joke). We have many different tax forms for different types of taxes and exemptions which are a pure nightmare if you have investments, own property, a business, etc., etc., it goes on and on-example here http://www.irs.gov/Forms-&-Pubs Note that this is just a list of the most frequently used forms, not the complete list plus you also have almost the same number of forms to file for each state you live or do business in. None of the taxes are by choice. The person on the radio is just biding his time before the tax man comes to get him. There are groups such as this which claim that taxation is unconstitutional and don't pay taxes but most end up in deep shite with the government eventually. Just ask the actor Wesley Snipes how his refusal to pay taxes turned out http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/24/snipes.sentencing/. This is how the Mafia was first prosecuted in the US. It was for tax evasion, not murder, larceny, extortion, bribes or any of the other crimes they were doing. In the UK you get the national treasure that is the BBC, we get Rupert Murdoch's FOX News to supply the news and TV programs. You get socialized health care but many of us pay for our own and is generally very expensive and not quite as good as the average Brit gets from your government. Roughly 1 in 8 people here don't have medical insurance due to the high cost and just do without medical care unless it's life threatening.
    Now back to the Chinese frame discussion. 8)
  • Lord_V
    Lord_V Posts: 54
    Not to mention that the US is one of the few countries to require their citizens to pay tax even when they live abroad permanently.

(Well, you have to submit a tax return.)
  • Cornish-J wrote:
    i've had an fm098 and currently awaiting my new TT frame - both from dengfu via velobuild. no complaints about the 098 and hopefully the TT machine will be as good!

What tt frame did you order pls ?