Snow !

upperoilcan
upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
Crikey its bucketing it down here ! Must be at least 4" on the ground !
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

Comments

• ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    In the north east of Scotland at 13:25. There is not one bit of snow on the ground and clear blue skies. Bitterly cold though, the hottest it's been at midday is a totally tropical 2 deg C and about -4 deg C at night.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    We've got about 6" here, it's ace !!
    It took me about 2hrs to drive 15miles home. The A34 was solid, due to idiots who can't drive, there was very little snow on the carriageways. I took to the back roads, out in the boonies, which was an adventure :D 6" of snow on the roads, got 7.7miles from home and the car said I'd only got 5miles of fuel left..... Oops !!!

Still, all good fun :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    c0d7b4acb8af1d0bb10e85fd06900711.jpg
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Currently watching it on the news in a complete state of underwhelment.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Here in South Wales I was expecting this to be my last day on earth with red warnings meaning danger to life and all that. In the end the worst of it stopped at about 10.30 and although we have about 5" here in the lowlands not far from the Severn Estuary. I decided to work from home though as there are too many people who just cannot get their heads around driving on white stuff. Last time we had heavy snow 2 years ago my 18 mile drive home from work (all dual carriageway and motorway) took 6 hours and yet I had no problems coping in my Mini which was the worst snow car I've ever owned. I've been up the stables in my Frontera though, the only problems were the people tryin to get up a steep hill (the climb at the end of the Ras de Cymru prologue) on an uncleared road and failing in front of me and some idiot who felt priority in these conditions should be to cars coming down rather than going up.
  • I've been using my quad bike to get around. It's much easier to control in these sorts of conditions. Just got to watch out for cars not stopping! I barely use the brakes as all my control is with the gears. It's a bit chilly though!
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    we have about 5" here in the lowlands not far from the Severn Estuary.

nearer 9" though once you`re into mid Wales ---hats off to Powys council though as main road A44 in is well cleared now, although blocked through drifting yesterday. Don`t intend cycling though
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    lerk, honestly, why does the south shit down at the sight of a snowflake?

It really is an unofficial national holiday. for the south.
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Yea, its winter. Happens every year. Take a look at your calendar, January and February are snowy pictures for a reason.

More annoying is that the rubbish has not been collected so I drove to the recycling centre on perfectly clear roads, to find it closed! Alf and Safety have declared transport too dangerous for council employees, the same bloody council taking my taxes the keep the clear roads open.

D :D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Valy wrote:
    lerk, honestly, why does the south shoot down at the sight of a snowflake?

Ah, yes - the tough northerner response. It's usually a fair point but 10" - 12" of snowfall in 12 hours is significant by anyone's standards. Even in the American midwest snowfall of that intensity tends to be newsworthy. I was actually surprised how quickly things have returned to normal in my part of the world. Pretty much as soon as the snow stopped everything but the most minor side roads were getting cleared. In the neighbouring County, which was on the edge of the worst hit area, they had even managed to plough my parent's residential cul-de-sac by lunchtime.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Pross wrote:
    In the neighbouring County, which was on the edge of the worst hit area, they had even managed to plough my parent's residential cul-de-sac by lunchtime.

Blimey...they're lucky.
    I've been living here (Derbyshire) 6 years and seen a gritter once up our road...I think it may have taken a wrong turn :D
    It's a residential area (not in the sticks or anything) but up a largish hill so once it snows you're not getting the car back home in a hurry.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • daviesee
    ^^^Audi man is the new BMW man. ^^^

:shock:

And my answer is - no.
  • Valy
    Pross wrote:
    Valy wrote:
    lerk, honestly, why does the south shoot down at the sight of a snowflake?

Ah, yes - the tough northerner response. It's usually a fair point but 10" - 12" of snowfall in 12 hours is significant by anyone's standards. Even in the American midwest snowfall of that intensity tends to be newsworthy. I was actually surprised how quickly things have returned to normal in my part of the world. Pretty much as soon as the snow stopped everything but the most minor side roads were getting cleared. In the neighbouring County, which was on the edge of the worst hit area, they had even managed to plough my parent's residential cul-de-sac by lunchtime.

I just ignore anything in the news about snow in south - things like "OMFGBBQ we have a barely there sheet of snow which will melt in a few hours" is responded to with "OMFG!!1111 MAST CLOZ SCHOOLS, SHOPS, COLLEGES ERMERGERRRRD". While in the same report the guys said "it also snowed in the north east" after we've had it for several days and it's covered everything and not a word was said about NE previously.

Really I don't think most people are like that and agree with the total overreaction of the media, but then looking at the roads it's dire at times how britain is in the snow, well no - hilarious more like. :mrgreen:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Not a drop here in Cornwall at the moment and roads completely clear
  • daviesee
  • Valy
    Ner, sky would be better. HA