RS Tora rebound adjust

snoopsmydogg
snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Recently changed my forks from a set of Manitous to Tora solo air and first impression was although ok the rebound could do with a tweak. It has the little black adjuster key at the bottom of the leg but I was wondering how much adjustment they actually have?

The manitous had about 180 degrees of adjustment from fast to slow (stop to stop). The Tora seems to have much more but I didnt want to adjust too far in case I broke something. The lockout and everything works fine, not sure how well they hold air as I basically fitted them, pumped them up to set the sag and took them for a short ride over the local trails with nothing more than a bit of rough/frozen ground and a couple of small drops. They felt very firm over the rough ground which to my (limited) understanding means I need to tweak the rebound towards the tortoise.

I think my question is if I keep adjusting the rebound towards the tortoise will it eventually stop turning to give me a start point to work from or will I potentially do some kind of internal damage?

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Turn it all the way in one direction, when it stops don't force it. Turn it all the way back the other way and count the clicks. Turn it back half way to get your mid point and see how that feels. Then start minor adjustments either way as necessary.

As the adjuster is on the bottom it can get crudded up so give it a quick clean and spray first.

ETA: Make sure you set the sag in the 'attack position' rather than just sitting on the bike or they will be over firm. What % sag are you running?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • snoopsmydogg
    The forks are like new so there is no issue there, the seller claimed less than 100 miles and looking at the condition I can believe it.

The concern I have is that the adjuster doesnt stop at each end like it did on the manitou. I can turn the adjuster from the Hare to the tortoise but if you take the adjuster key out and put it back in at the Hare it will keep turning. I only did this for another quarter turn but there was no sign of it stopping.

I had googled fork set up and there is a thread on one of the forums saying it has a lot of adjustment (over 720 degrees iirc) but this was only on one thread and I didnt want to risk trying it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    720 degrees on newer models.
  • snoopsmydogg
    Thanks SS. It was originally bought in July 2011 and the graphics match the 2011 version that is discontinued at crc. I would post a link but crc is one of the banned sites at work.

so is it just a case of winding it down until it stops then? and I suppose the other question is could I just do it with a standard allen key to make it a bit quicker? also are you supposed to remove the black adjuster when out on the trails?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can use any allen key. You can take it out if you want, but it's meant to stay in.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • snoopsmydogg
    Thanks CD will just leave it in then.