New bike dilemma 29er help needed, plus fs to ht?

ljs1977
ljs1977 Posts: 247
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I fancy a new bike, don't need one, just want one.

I have a Cube Stereo which I love but think 1 it's too much for me 2 want a 29er.

As I only xc and trail centre (cannock and the pines) with future trips to the peaks, I am thinking short travel full sus or 29 ht.

Currently thinking Sala horse thief, spearfish, anthem, trance or a Kinesis ff29, solaris.

Recommendations and opinions please

Cheers

Comments

• MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    On-one Scandal 29er, On-one Inbred 29er
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Demo some bikes and see what you think to HT of full sus. It's all down to personal preference.

I love my EMD niner(29er) and my pivot Mach 5.7(26). They are very different bikes and have their pros and cons. If I had to choose one it would be a difficult decision.

I know a few people that have demo'd the orange Clockwork and Gyro and have really rated them. That is where I would personally start.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    If you can demo a Niner they are well worth considering.

Whats your budget?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Forgot to say, I'd never by anything made by Salsa. I have been cut-up by their team riders loads so have a personal boycott.

I agree the Niner bikes are great bits of kit. Even my entry level EMD is a brilliant bike. I imagine that an Air or Jet would be mind blowing....

The big thing I like about the Orange clockwork is that it can take a 120mm front fork. The EMD can only take 100mm. Coming from a 140mm P7 I do wish I had a bit more travel up front.
  • Whats your budget?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    My current budget is sub £3k, as sub as possible :)
  • Check out the Pipedream Skookum 29er Titanium
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Or this...Titus Ti Fireline Evo29
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20