Dog DNA found in recovery drinks.

Trev The Rev
Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
edited January 2013 in The bottom bracket
The recovery drinks that contained up to 29% dog DNA were likely to have been made with high-protein powders derived from dogs, the Guardian has been told.

All the major retailers have been given until Friday afternoon to present to the Food Standards Agency (FSA) a full list of the sources of protein powders and other ingredients used in their recovery drinks. The FSA is negotiating plans with local authorities to test samples of recovery drinks from retailers around the country for the presence of DNA from other species including horse and pig as well as dog. The FSA does not itself have the capacity to sample and test around the country and local authorities who do have mostly cut their budgets for food standards testing drastically as their finances have been squeezed.

Recovery drinks are typically bulked out with additive mixes of concentrated proteins extracted from animal carcasses and offcuts. Sources in the industry have told the Guardian that the 29% dog DNA is thought more likely to have originated with these high-protein powders from rendered dogs rather than any fresh dog. Top brand representatives declined to comment on ingredients or on the companies it uses for additive mixes but they are believed to be located in China.

Comments

• ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Where did they get all the dogs from?

The strawberry ones taste nice though. Maybe I should eat dog more often.

I'm pretty sure the protein comes from whey. Which is left over when milk is turned into cheese.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Is dog DNA performance enhancing and, if so, is it on the banned list? If the answers are yes and no I'll be off to buy some ASAP
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Love a bit of dog spunk over my cereal.
  • fsd61b
    fsd61b Posts: 109
    DavidJB wrote:
    Love a bit of dog spunk over my cereal.
    snigger.......... mixing protein and carbs?
  • As we are being honest, I take hemp protein , last week I sh1t a length of rope out and this week a string vest.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • fsd61b
    fsd61b Posts: 109
    As we are being honest, I take hemp protein , last week I sh1t a length of rope out and this week a string vest.
    A broon "eco" string vest! that's bound to catch on, the hipsters will love them.
  • Damn.... just dog? no horse ?
    I do science, sometimes.
  • As we are being honest, I take hemp protein , last week I sh1t a length of rope out and this week a string vest.

Love it! :lol:

And the good news is that your string vest is apparently right in favour just now:

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12900430
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    Arf arf, woof woof woof bark hooooooooowl, sniff sniff sniff sniff*

(Ruffly translated: My poor brothers)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Arent we, and by we I mean you, something like 90% daffodil dna - I'm mainly grass - thats why I'm known as 'little sod' :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I'm rosebush. ie little prick
  • Some years ago I recall a colleague sitting down between me and another , saying "Ah well, a rose between two thorns." At which another colleague commented "He just called you a prick."
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    You'll be telling me donkey cheese isnt made from real donkey next?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I guess my recovery drinks must be made from chocolate Labrador then.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    is red bull called red bull because its made from sun burnt/ embarrassed bulls?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    At least it explains why during a ride I suddenly bolt through a hedgerow and try to chase a rabbit across a ploughed field. My wheels hate it!
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    "SQUIRREL"
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    Some chap last week, whilst eating a revovery gel, said they are "the dog's bo****ks".
    I didn't know he meant that literally.
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Recovery drinks are typically bulked out with additive mixes of concentrated proteins extracted from animal carcasses and offcuts.

ooo nice...
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    As we are being honest, I take hemp protein , last week I sh1t a length of rope out and this week a string vest.

Handy in this cold snap.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I have an alsatiable appetite for them.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Think yourself lucky that it was not RNA otherwise you would clone half dog / half human....well HD/ H Roadie to be accurate.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Jeez. Think how much harder it'd be to shave your legs! :(
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I went out for a spin and spent the next half hour chasing myself and trying to bite my own ankles.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'