Slack in chain

Moreland
Moreland Posts: 34
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone

Been on this site a few times when looking for advice but cant really find what I am looking for this time so thought I would sign up and ask.

I bought a 901 as a second bike at the weekend and it arrived today via courier. I seen recent pics of the bike before it was sent and it looked spot on, Got it today and fitted the wheels and there is a lot of slack on the chain when coasting or standing, When its under load there is still a bit too much but it changes gears fine. the rear mech seems a little loose, when is push the mech back it obviously takes the slack off but it just drops back down when i let go. I thought it may have been the freehub but not so sure, Think it may have been done in transit? Any advice on this?

When the bike arrived the chain was a bit of a mess so I took one side of the 'leg' on the mech off to straighten it out and re align so not sure if I have done something wrong here, I basically just removed the allen bolts from the jockey wheels, sorted chani and then put them back in.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe post a pic or two.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I will get some up but its going to be tomorrow now. Thanks
  • Just popped out to get some pics, as you can see when its on the smaller chain ring there is a lot of sag. The first pic you can see me holding the mech back slightly so take the slack but it just drops down when release and looks like pic two. Any advice would be great. Thanks

2rg0578.jpg

wcmln7.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Your mech should be doing what your hand is.
  • I know, Its just not supporting it when it goes back. Is it time for a new mech?
  • or can it be tightened up to support it?
  • Chunkers1980
    The spring may have popped out, but the mech should completely 'curl up' if there is no chain or cable attached. Possibly new mech time. Small small will give a better idea.
  • I agree with above posts, looks like your derailleur is broken or a part missing, is there any tension at all in it or does it move freely.

A derailleur should always want to curl up into itself, more detailed pics of derailleur may help things along.
    Scott Scale 50 (Custom Spec)
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What was it like before you took the plate off - did it fold up?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • There is a little bit of tension but no where near what it should be. I will get some new pics added shortly.
    Thanks
  • More Pics:

54kkk.jpg

6h25vo.jpg

fy0105.jpg

351sjts.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    Those pics tell us nothing more. Small small.
  • What type of pics would you like, Anything in particular?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    if the mech isn't springing back then in all likelihood it is toast. How is the chain in the big big combo? Might be that the chain is too long?
  • When its on the biggest chain ring it is too bad, Little bit slack but not touching the frame, Mech is still working and selecting all gears fine..
  • Moreland wrote:
    Hi everyone
    the rear mech seems a little loose, when is push the mech back it obviously takes the slack off but it just drops back down when i let go. I thought it may have been the freehub but not so sure, Think it may have been done in transit? Any advice on this?

When the bike arrived the chain was a bit of a mess so I took one side of the 'leg' on the mech off to straighten it out and re align so not sure if I have done something wrong here, I basically just removed the allen bolts from the jockey wheels, sorted chani and then put them back in.

Sounds like the spring in the derailleur arm (image 1) has either come loose or is missing completely.

It should contain the parts seen in image 2, the spring is numbered 2 just for reference, and it is this I think which is where the issue lies.

1. 6h25vo.jpg

2. Untitled.png

Full parts catalogue can be found here, page 27 for the X9 derailleur.
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/CCN8l ... _rev_a.pdf

I advise taking it off, disassembling on a clean and tidy work surface and see what you have got, also if still stuck post pics of it in greater detail (in pieces, or in stages)
    Scott Scale 50 (Custom Spec)
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That mech has clearly had a big wallop at some point judging by the scuffing. Take it apart and see if you can get it working (I've done it a few times), but it may be new mech time.
  • Thanks everybody. That will be a job for tomorrow, Fingers crossed I can get it sorted, Updates will follow.
  • Scott Scale 50 (Custom Spec)
    Scott Genius LT 30