Apple Replacement Ipod

richsieb
richsieb Posts: 137
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
I got told by a friend of how Apple have found a defect with the battery of the first gen ipod nano and are replacing them for free with a 6th generation ipod nano (Touch screen square thing). Managed to dig my one out and have registered for it to be sent off courtesy of Apple.

If you have one of them lying around it's definitely worth looking into it. Can't complain if it does get replaced. If it doesn't, they're increasing in value on ebay as people hear about the replacement scheme so i can always sell it on there aha :lol:
http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Thanks for that - we had one in a drawer upstairs!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    Great find, thanks for posting this. Just dug my old Nano 1Gb 1st gen out. Holds a charge for about an hour, so I was thinking of binning earlier, glad I didn't!

Cheers

Ox
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • richsieb
    No worries, I'm classing it as my good deed for the day :roll: :D
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    richsieb wrote:
    I got told by a friend of how Apple have found a defect with the battery of the first gen ipod nano and are replacing them for free with a 6th generation ipod nano (Touch screen square thing). Managed to dig my one out and have registered for it to be sent off courtesy of Apple.

If you have one of them lying around it's definitely worth looking into it. Can't complain if it does get replaced. If it doesn't, they're increasing in value on ebay as people hear about the replacement scheme so i can always sell it on there aha :lol:

You do know it's not a touch screen square thing any more, but a bigger rectangular thing.

If they give you a square one, give it back, they suck (I've had four replacements in the last year).

Make sure you're getting the latest model.
  • richsieb
    You do know it's not a touch screen square thing any more, but a bigger rectangular thing.
    Yes I do. However Apple are replacing the 1st generation ipod Nano with the 6th generation Nanos which are the square touch screened ones.
  • richsieb
    If they give you a square one, give it back, they suck (I've had four replacements in the last year).

I'm sorry if you feel that way but i've had this 2gb ipod nano since 2005 and it has been in my drawer for years collecting dust. If somebody wants it for a more modern ipod for free which i can sell then i can't complain,
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Well lad, what you want is a mini-disc player. I listened to some old mini-discs the other day and the quality is SOOOOO much better than MP3.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    GiantMike wrote:
    Well lad, what you want is a mini-disc player. I listened to some old mini-discs the other day and the quality is SOOOOO much better than MP3.

+1
  • goffski
    goffski Posts: 72
    Yep, had mine replaced for (i think) a 6th Gen Nano 8gb. They just come in a brown box with no accessories and that's where it still is, not used it once.
  • richsieb
    goffski wrote:
    Yep, had mine replaced for (i think) a 6th Gen Nano 8gb. They just come in a brown box with no accessories and that's where it still is, not used it once.

How long did it take to arrive? I shipped both of mine off yesterday. I'm going to sell them when they arrive so I can buy myself a new bike computer :lol:
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Don't do it, the 1st GEN is better than the latest one. Gutted I swapped mine.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    goffski wrote:

Wanna sell it?, PM me with a price if you do.
  • richsieb
    Wanna sell it?, PM me with a price if you do.
    I'll be selling mine should it arrive if you're still after one. :)
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    marz wrote:
    richsieb wrote:

Got the square one as well. Never had a problem with it. Works perfect and is very little in size.
  • richsieb
    Got the square one as well. Never had a problem with it. Works perfect and is very little in size.
    How long did it take to arrive having sent it off? Just curious and impatient aha :lol:
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    I just got the new nano I bought mine god it's annoying you can do anything with gloves on, looked a twat doing it with my nose Sunday so put mine I the drawer until summer
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    richsieb wrote:
    How long did it take to arrive having sent it off? Just curious and impatient aha :lol:

My replacement just arrived, 4 days after sending it back to Apple.

Not a bad trade - the old one was completely borked :D:D
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    mine came today 8gb for a 2gb, hurrah!

thanks to richsieb for putting us on to this :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • richsieb
    Ah excellent. Mine was delivered but returned as nobody was there to sign for them :roll:
  • think you just follow the link earlier in the thread and put in the details.

I have one but am in two minds whether to do it as mine still works fine and is engraved which they cant do to the later models
  • got mine it took a week to swap and its double the memory size and while the battery is not as good as a 3rd gen that my daughter has its about the same as the one i swaped for it also has a fm radio in my opinion its well worth the swap