Britain's biggest ever mortgage fraud, 750 million.

FocusZing
FocusZing Posts: 4,373
edited April 2014 in The cake stop
Achilleas Kallakis: property empire

Bogus Mayfair property tycoon has been found guilty of tricking Bank of Scotland and Allied Irish Bank into advancing millions in loans.

Ferry financed by Bank of Scotland (now part of Lloyds Banking Group): €26m Mercator II, a half-scrapped 110m former passenger ferry to be converted into a luxury super-yacht Mercator.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013 ... oon-empire

What about the ffing numb nuts who worked for the banks who lent the toss pot the money. All I hear on the radio is cuts to the public sector and huge debts.

WHEN WILL WHITE COLLAR CRIME BE TREATED THE SAME AS BLUE COLLAR CRIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOR F SAKE!

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    I wonder if I can go into the bank and ask them to rescind their charges ? I mean if they so want to squitter away money because they can't do proper financial checks, then turn around to me and say I owe them £28 quid 'cos my DD didn't go out. Doesn't seem fair.
    Or...
    You can't have a mortgage 'cos although you have sufficient income, you cannot afford the 40% deposit.
    Or...
    We have been told to set aside £70 million to assist in small business start up by the govt., however we have only paid out less than £5m because we don't trust anyone anymore despite the fact that we are the totally untrustworthy one's.

etcetera...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • These so called "big banks" don't give a damn about people, unless you have major deposits in their bank. Chase is on the origination end of another mortgage document debacle. The big bank reportedly sent a customer's mortgage documents to a complete stranger, opening up the potential for identity theft. It's a sad thing. Many of us would like to trust politicians, bankers, others with power, but it's clear that those in power cannot be trusted. Those who want to do the right thing cannot because powerful systems are, by nature, driven by greed and corruption.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    These so called "big banks" don't give a damn about people, unless you have major deposits in their bank. Chase is on the origination end of another mortgage document debacle. The big bank reportedly sent a customer's mortgage documents to a complete stranger, opening up the potential for identity theft. It's a sad thing. Many of us would like to trust politicians, bankers, others with power, but it's clear that those in power cannot be trusted. Those who want to do the right thing cannot because powerful systems are, by nature, driven by greed and corruption.

How very true.
    When you have nothing they will not loan unless your heart lungs and kidney are matched to someone willing to buy them if you default and when you don't need the money they throw it at you from all angles.

I personally dislike the methods but on the other hand, without them where would we be ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    How jolly dare we, the public query their corporate bonus structures. What do we know after all.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    FocusZing wrote:
    Achilleas Kallakis: property empire

Bogus Mayfair property tycoon has been found guilty of tricking Bank of Scotland and Allied Irish Bank into advancing millions in loans.

Ferry financed by Bank of Scotland (now part of Lloyds Banking Group): €26m Mercator II, a half-scrapped 110m former passenger ferry to be converted into a luxury super-yacht Mercator.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013 ... oon-empire

What about the ffing numb nuts who worked for the banks who lent the toss pot the money. All I hear on the radio is cuts to the public sector and huge debts.

WHEN WILL WHITE COLLAR CRIME BE TREATED THE SAME AS BLUE COLLAR CRIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOR F SAKE!

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. He's been caught, found guilty, will be sentenced and will no doubt end up in gaol for fraud. Unless I'm missing something, surely the process for this 'white collar crime' is the same as the process for a 'blue collar crime' ?

Genuine question, what's the definition of a 'white collar crime' and a 'blue collar crime' ?

Also, you mention the person/people who lent the money; If they have been tricked into lending the money, as you mention, then surely they were unaware of the fraudulant behaviour, and therefore not necessarily at fault. So in answer to your question; "What about the ffing numb nuts who worked for the banks who lent the toss pot the money ?"..... what about them ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    MattC59 wrote:
    So in answer to your question; "What about the ffing numb nuts who worked for the banks who lent the toss pot the money ?"..... what about them ?

If their employer doesn't give them a severe kick in the @r$e there's something terribly wrong. Someone it the bank is meant to check that they're not being defrauded.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @mattC59... Surely you know better than to apply logic to a good rant. It can only end in tears...
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I am sure Bernie Madoff and Alan Stanford wouldn't mind some blue collar sentences. Probably 250 years in jail between them...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Bit of a weird first post thread resurrection!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,126
    yes indeedy, who is this n00b, when will they strike next, etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny