Another Bottom Bracket question...

Newfish
Newfish Posts: 121
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all,

Whilst giving my bike a thorough clean today I have managed to knacker my bottom bracket. :evil: :(

It is just the non drive side retaining screw thread, and believe me its beyond salvaging.

My question is simple. Can I just replace the axle, or do they come as one complete unit? It is a Shimano, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 73mm, or at least thats what it says on the Spesh website, and looks like this.

Any help appreciated, and all name calling is totally justified. :x
Cheers,
Simon.

Comments

• StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    You'd have to replace the whole thing I'm afraid and the link isn't an octalink bb.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I won't even ask how you managed that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Newfish
    cooldad wrote:

Well since you asked so nicely I shall divulge my stupidity. I have a crank removal tool from some time ago, about 15yrs, and decided that I would remove my cranks to give them a bloody good clean and a regrease etc. However I didn't check that the little spindle that pushed the crank off does a really good job of pushing into the hole the retaining bolt screws into, destroying the tread. I then destroyed the retaining bolt trying to sort it out.

End result, new BB. Proper hacked off as I've only just got it all back together with the new brakes. Haven't even ridden it yet cos of the weather.

@ StephanP - The spesh website says its and Octalink Spline 73mm, however it doesn't look like

This

or this

but like the original link I posted.
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    Your first post is a square taper BB. if that's what your cranks take, then that's what you need. Double check the shell width - should be either 68mm or 73mm. I'd guess at 68mm on the Rockhopper. Also measure the total axle length - probably 113mm. You'll want 'English thread'.

Or, local friendly bike shoppe :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Newfish wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Well since you asked so nicely I shall divulge my stupidity. I have a crank removal tool from some time ago, about 15yrs, and decided that I would remove my cranks to give them a bloody good clean and a regrease etc. However I didn't check that the little spindle that pushed the crank off does a really good job of pushing into the hole the retaining bolt screws into, destroying the tread. I then destroyed the retaining bolt trying to sort it out.

End result, new BB. Proper hacked off as I've only just got it all back together with the new brakes. Haven't even ridden it yet cos of the weather.

@ StephanP - The spesh website says its and Octalink Spline 73mm, however it doesn't look like

This

or this

Aaah yes there's a little lumpy thing that sticks on the end. I tried that once too, but with less disastrous consequences.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Newfish wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

This

or this

are you sure? can't really see the removal tool pushing into the thread of a square taper bb, an octolink yes, which is why they have these, to stop that problem
      shimano-hollowtech-b-b-crank-tool-tlfc15.jpg
        http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... moval-tool
        Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
      • Newfish
        I have just received the Crank puller I ordered yesterday (Impressive service from Merlin Cycles) However I didn't read the small print and have ordered the Park Tool CCP-44 which says it can't be used on square tapered cranks. :oops:

What is the reason for this? or will it actually be ok to use?

The only reason I ask is that the package it came in is damaged and I'm not so sure Merlin will have it back. It arrived damaged but foresee problems...Is it useless to me?
        Cheers,
        Simon.
        Newfish wrote:
        What is the reason for this? or will it actually be ok to use?
        the end is too big.

and no it will damage either the tool or the cranks.
        "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
        Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
      • Newfish
        Bother, thanks for the quick reply. I shall wait and see what Merlin say.
        Cheers,
        Simon.
        If the crank you have is a square taper then I bought one in Chain Reactions Jan sale for £2.49. This'll have the non-drive side threaded cup you need. They're made out of a type of plastic and quite easily damaged, especially if someone has over-tightened it.

There is also (yet another) tool you need to remove/replace the BB.
        1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
        2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
      • Newfish
        booldawg wrote:
        If the crank you have is a square taper then I bought one in Chain Reactions Jan sale for £2.49. This'll have the non-drive side threaded cup you need. They're made out of a type of plastic and quite easily damaged, especially if someone has over-tightened it.

There is also (yet another) tool you need to remove/replace the BB.

Thanks for the info. I have sent the wrong one back and exchanged for a icetoolz one which is correct. Already ordered the removal tool and hopefully got that right. Just holding off on ordering my BB till I have the old one out and I can make damn sure I get the right one.
        Cheers,
        Simon.
        Hello once again people. Last question about this I promise. :?

I have removed the bottom bracket and it is this one.

8424475292_fb12c34e25_b.jpg

Now does the 68 refer to the thread size? I'm hoping it doesn't, CRC have stock but have 30 options.

The one that is 68mm comes in 110mm, 115mm & 118mm, however I need 113mm, as it clearly states.

I think I am right in thinking that I require the 73mm 113mm English thread (as someone already said.) but am now a bit puzzled as to why it would have 68 in massive font on it!

Any help would be awesome before I order the wrong part again.

Thanks.

EDIT - just found this on RoseBikes which might be the right one. 68mm 113mm
        Cheers,
        Simon.
        no it is the shell width.

PS reading Parktools would answer all of your questions.
        "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
      • Newfish
        nicklouse wrote:
        no it is the shell width.

PS reading Parktools would answer all of your questions.

Thanks for the quick reply Nick.

I have but not with regard to this until now, and it didn't help. Your reply doesn't help much either though, which one do I need, or am I right, its the 73mm 113mm English thread.
        Cheers,
        Simon.
        you need a 68mm 113mm presuming the one in the picture is correct.
      • Newfish
        Thanks Nick, the one in the picture is the dead one I removed, so yes.

Cheers fella.
        Cheers,
        Simon.