TdF14 - Where to watch

johnboy183
johnboy183 Posts: 832
edited January 2013 in Road general
Ok I don't know Yorkshire but anyone any idea yet as perhaps the best places to go and watch? Most scenic? Longest time to view the riders etc? And do we think the entire route will be lined by throngs of people similar to Olympic RR & TT?

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Park your car at west witton ride your bike to aysgarth, then ride back to leyburn and see them twice!!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    One of the climbs would be a good bet
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I'm literally just going to nip round the corner from home :D.
  • lotus49 wrote:

That's just showing off!
  • Camus
    Camus Posts: 189
    johnboy183 wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:

That's just showing off!

Me too 8)

One option could be next to Blackstone Edge reservoir on Turvin Road which is towards the top of Cragg Vale on Stage 2, you can watch them coming up and then going down. There's some car parking and a good amount of room roadside too. I'll probably just ride up there the other way though!
  • Guess I'd better go reserve my parking spot now......
  • daughter lives just outside otley , bed/break. cheap rates( pick up the grandchildren from school) sorted.
  • TV. Otherwise you stand by the side of the road for hours and WHOOOOSH its been and gone.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Probably Holme Moss for me-ride over from Derby to catch what should be a breakaway with a panicking peloton not far behind.Classic ToB terrain too.Or the Strines for some nasty 20% hills just a few miles from the finish in Sheffield on Day2.Its going to be manic for a three week race.Cant wait even now.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I reckon Holme Moss will be the most popular spot. Gun Hill gets big crowds for the ToB on weekdays, the turn out for TdF on a weekend over much bigger hills is going to be huge!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I was thinking of getting up Buttertubs in good time, about 25-30 mile ride for me from here in Kendal.

If not, my Ma lives in Harrogate so maybe get over there for the finale of stage one.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    My initial thoughts are:

Saturday: ride in to town to watch the start, then cruise over to harrogate to watch the end. Then cycle home.

Sunday head out to Keighley via Bradford and up the hill to Oxenhope (a ride I've done a few times), then wait at the top for them to pass. Whiz down the other side and home.

Both nights - watch the highlights later on TV.

I am very very excited all ready, and will try to ride both stages at least once before next year. I am pondering taking some time off the week before the start and riding them then as well :D
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    TV. Otherwise you stand by the side of the road for hours and WHOOOOSH its been and gone.

:roll:
  • I'm going up somewhere near Ewden (only a few miles from home :) )
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    TV. Otherwise you stand by the side of the road for hours and WHOOOOSH its been and gone.

:roll:

That's the bit I worry about, so staying in and watching on tv is real draw. However I promised the manchild that I'd take him. The atmosphere is going to be terrific and very unlikely to be repeated. For that reason alone I suspect that I'll find my spot somewhere along the road, hope for a small breakaway group to pass so we can identify the riders and finally go bonkers as the peloton passes!
  • zippy483
    zippy483 Posts: 104
    It'll be Blackstone edge for me to although the top of the Cragg Climb is a bit windswept, might try a space in the layby a little down the road towards Ripponden, hopefully early start get the BBQ setup and settle in for the duration :)