what gear ratios for track league?

Omar Little
Omar Little Posts: 2,010
edited February 2013 in Track
Shortly going to be making my debut in the track league in Glasgow so was wondering what gear ratios people are using for this (or the leagues in Newport and Manchester).

Currently have a 49x15 which ive found good for the drop ins and the accreditations but will i need something a bit bigger for racing? It would be for the C races initially.

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    It's a bit like the "what gear for a flying 200" question in that it depends on where you're at development wise.

I'd suggest that you start on a 92" but have chainrings and sprockets to take you either side of that to give you 90" and 94".

One of the bunch race experts like Old Welshman might have a different view - I'm just a sprinter! 8)
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I'm riding a 48/14 (92.6") in the A races at Glasgow TL. I've worked up from the C's, through the B's to the A's.
    I started on a 50x15, then 51x15, then a 49x14 before settling on a 48x14 which works for me, but others are riding between 90" and 100" so it is very personal as to what works for you.
    49x15 should be fine to start with... The hire bikes are 48x15.
  • Omar Little
    Will give the 49x15 a go for the first race that will give me a better idea. Going to attach my garmin sensor as well so i can get a better idea of what my speed and cadence actually is.

Probably a stupid question but when you change gear ratio (say going from a 49x15 to 51x15 or a 48x14) would i need to change the chain too or is there likely to be enough space in the drop outs to just shift the wheel a bit?
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    It depends what length your chain is to start with & the length of the track ends on your bike.
    I can run a 48-51 chain ring with a 14/15 sprocket without changing chain length. If I went to a 47 or 52 or 13 or 16, I might need to change chain, but I've not needed to yet.
    Avg speed in the A races is around 30/31mph, at 110rpm, but speed varies between 24mph & 37mph (135rpm)
  • Mdins
    Mdins Posts: 12
    To the OP, I rode the track league at the Sir CH Velo last night and used a 48x14, the gearing was fine, plenty of dig, the only issue was my shambolic legs. Noticed a difference from the hire bikes which I think were 48x15? What gear did you end up riding with?
  • Omar Little
    Mdins wrote:
    To the OP, I rode the track league at the Sir CH Velo last night and used a 48x14, the gearing was fine, plenty of dig, the only issue was my shambolic legs. Noticed a difference from the hire bikes which I think were 48x15? What gear did you end up riding with?

I didnt get entry for last weeks so havent raced yet and wont be able to make the next 2 either.

The structured training sessions are starting up now so i'm hoping to do one of them in the meantime, itching to get racing though!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Ha ha Eddy :-) it does depend on age and ability a bit. Youngsters will happily race on 88" but most adults use 92" as Eddy suggested. U use 92" for some races but for higher standard use 94" or 96". I know some older gys who tend to spin slower with age, use 100". I also heard Ed Clancy used 110" at last race lol though suspct he left his pursuit gear on :D