Silly Commuting Ailments thread

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
I think this was done a few years ago, but a new thread is never a bad thing....

Anyway, whats your ailments (including mental illness!)

Put my back out installing a dishwasher last night - now can barely walk
Left knee is giving me gip again, I suspect cleat position

Back in the car for the rest of this week.

Probably have a cold next week as junior has a cold this week.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Getting old gtv?

Me, I an currently struck down with the lurgey and have a dodgy left knee that I am hoping is down to the cold!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm in fine fettle :mrgreen:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    recurring gout and threatening chalfonts.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I have a Rhino Horn zit.

Right on the end of my flipping nose and it stings in the cold weather when cycling home.

46 years old and I have a zit. Bastard.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Attack of Mega-lurgy now into 4th week... started with fever / shakes / moved into tickly coughing / fever, now into incessant cough / snottiness. Caught it off a baby too. Disease ridden little bundle of lovliness that she is.

No riding whole time - getting seriously f**ked off with it now.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Still recovering from my accident in September. I managed to use a stapler with my right hand today for the first time since then. All the time off the bike has aggravated a problem with my knee which is bloody irritating as my hand is now strong enough to pull the brakes on the MTBs now.
    All of this is not helped by feeling old and grumpy.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Left knee has been sore for the last couple of days - days during which I wasn't even on the bike, I was clearing out the loft !
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    dry cough has escalated to an ear infection which is spreading nicely into the jaw and eye socket, seriously messing with my balance.

little-un has tonsillitis with a high temp yet she's running around like there's nothing wrong.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    I have lost all sensation in my knackers.
  • Ed F
    Ed F Posts: 79
    Toes are swollen and numb. I can hardly walk.

I suppose it is all this cold weather cycling. But my feet don't feel that cold on the bike. I must be getting old :cry:
  • itboffin
    Now to pop green ear thingy or leave it be?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    Motorbike accident about 13 years ago left me with:
    Partial and stretched PCL, meaning my right knee is unstable, slopping about front to back
    Gouged out all the cartilage in the knee leaving me with chronic osteoarthritis, equates to pain every day which is amplified during the rainy season.
    Cycling gives me dynamic stability of the knee so less flopping about, this reduces unnecessary movement and friction reducing inflammation but still pain all day every day.
    I am too young for a knee replacement (37) as I would wear it out and need second or third replacements, pointless so just living with the pain.
    When it is particularly inflamed and painful I cant ride, then it gets weak and floppy again
  • gtvlusso
    itboffin wrote:

Ugh.....green has gotta be a bad sign!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Almost a year ago I think I slept on my side and my right shoulder hasn't been the same since.
    I've had two sessions with a physio (a few months apart) but every now and then the pain is quite bad (bad enough for me to take pain killers) and I can hardly lift my arm. Then it recedes for a few weeks so I think I'll be fine before coming back again as bad as ever.

I think I'll make an appointment with the doc as I think I'll need either some serious anti-inflammatorys, a sustained course of physio or (scary thought) surgery.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    gtvlusso wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Amputation from the neck up is the only way to be sure to kill an ear infection.

• veronese68
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Amputation from the neck up is the only way to be sure to kill an ear infection.
    If you pop the green ear nasty you open the area up to infection and could die to death as a result.
    If you don't pop the green ear nasty it could grow and take over your whole head, killing your original head to death in the process.
  • veronese68
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Almost a year ago I think I slept on my side and my right shoulder hasn't been the same since.
    I've had two sessions with a physio (a few months apart) but every now and then the pain is quite bad (bad enough for me to take pain killers) and I can hardly lift my arm. Then it recedes for a few weeks so I think I'll be fine before coming back again as bad as ever.

I think I'll make an appointment with the doc as I think I'll need either some serious anti-inflammatorys, a sustained course of physio or (scary thought) surgery.
    The EPO had something similar and after various bouts of physio and stuff they sent her for a steroid injection into the joint.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

The EPO had something similar and after various bouts of physio and stuff they sent her for a steroid injection into the joint.
    Will that mean I'll have to go on Oprah afterwards to confess?

• veronese68
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Will that mean I'll have to go on Oprah afterwards to confess?
    Eventually, yes.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Lol finally a SCAT thread.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • itboffin
    gtvlusso wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

My hearing is switching between ears its a weird feeling
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    On a more serious note I have a case of Januritis just can't seem to get into 2013 but nothing specific.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I think I must have tapeworm :cry:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Yay docs gave me antibiotics... hopefully I can stop dying and get back on the bike toot sweet.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • gtvlusso
    itboffin wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

My hearing is switching between ears its a weird feeling

Not still flying are you?!

turn_indicator.gif

Just checking!
  • I have a Rhino Horn zit.

Right on the end of my flipping nose and it stings in the cold weather when cycling home.

46 years old and I have a zit. Bastard.
    Ho Ho, had to laugh at this. I'm 40 in a few weeks and still get spots. And I'm grey (even chest hair :shock: )
    Recently I've found looking through my left eye I have "missing" patches. Sometimes they're a different colour, sometimes all "starry". Strange. Should I be worried, Dr?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Been full of snotty green mucus for about a month now.

Lost all sense of taste and smell and am necking Sudafed like they are going outta fashion.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Recently I've found looking through my left eye I have "missing" patches. Sometimes they're a different colour, sometimes all "starry". Strange. Should I be worried, Dr?

If you're being serious, then I'd get to an optician (which I'd recommend over a GP, actually) straight away.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Cycling home in snow
    Car sitting where it should be
    I hit it ow ow

Not the best haiku, but accurate
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    domgears wrote:
    stuff.....
    When it is particularly inflamed and painful I cant ride, then it gets weak and floppy again

:shock:

Memo to self: must read full post to get context