Aching finger joints

bluedoggy
bluedoggy Posts: 285
edited January 2013 in Road general
I've noticed my finger joints ache a bit. Now this could be down to two things... my age (43) or riding the bike?
Does anyone else have a problem with aching fingers?
Wilier cento uno.

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Usually the sign of a cold coming or summat
  • bluedoggy
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Usually the sign of a cold coming or summat

I've had it for months though? I think my body is just ageing......
    Wilier cento uno.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Riding for long periods whilst gripping the bars too tightly?? Or gout?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,202
    if it's persistent see a doctor

it's possible that it's early sign of joint inflammation, i.e. arthritis, some people get it early, some late, some never

in the event that it is something like that, i believe early treatment can make a big difference to how things go later in life (by avoiding things reaching the point where damage occurs), so it's worth a check
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bluedoggy
    sungod wrote:
    if it's persistent see a doctor

it's possible that it's early sign of joint inflammation, i.e. arthritis, some people get it early, some late, some never

in the event that it is something like that, i believe early treatment can make a big difference to how things go later in life (by avoiding things reaching the point where damage occurs), so it's worth a check

Thanks for the advice.
    I'll make an appointment.
    Wilier cento uno.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Definitely get it checked out if it is persistent.

It's not uncommon to get a little bit of pain at this time of the year with it being cold etc. - but if it's been going on for months, then you need to get it looked at and also think about how your hands are positioned on the bike etc. - on long rides you want to move your hands about on the bars (spend some time on the tops as well as the hoods etc.).
  • Camus
    Camus Posts: 189
    As above, the cold brings out things like this. I've sprained my right ankle a few times and I always feel it in winter. Is it when you've been riding? I sometimes get sore fingers from having my hands locked around the bars but it goes away afterwards, like when your fingers cramp up writing an exam paper. If it's persistent then as has been mentioned it could be a more serious joint issue. Try forming a fist then extending them for a few minutes on each hand as a stretching exercise.
  • bluedoggy
    They don't hurt in normal use, i can stretch and make a fist and no pain at all, but are painful if I pull then slightly. A good example is when trying to pull off a sweaty glove off and it hurts. I will go to the doctors to have it checked out, so thank you gentlemen for the advice.
    Wilier cento uno.