Winter shoes/boots for flats (cold feet)

Sheppy
Sheppy Posts: 140
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I've found a few threads on this, but still am undecided. I just wear old running trainers on my bike, which is fine 80% of the time, I have seal skin thermal socks and when it's really cold put another pair on underneath them. However, on Tuesday my feet were frozen (again), ok, so it's pretty cold but wondered what other people why ride with flats use?
I was tempted by some cheapo waterproof shoes the other day, I thought perhaps they'd offer a bit more in the way of warmth. Does anyone have any particular recommendations?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    2 socks is not always a benefit, the insulation comes from the air, compressing more material in can displace air resulting in less insulation.

What material trainers, waterproof, windproof?

Pedal harder to generate more heat is the best way!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I find a very thin pair, like suit socks, works well inside Sealskinz Thermals.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sheppy
    Sheppy Posts: 140

What material trainers, waterproof, windproof?

Nothing proof, they're just running (good quality, though) shoes that I've worn out so get relegated to MTBing.
    I find a very thin pair, like suit socks, works well inside Sealskinz Thermals.

I'll try that tonight then, see what happens... It's gonna be another chilly one! Tuesday nearly got knocked off when I was on a bit of road between tracks, a car lost control on ice coming down the hill :o I was desperately pulling my bike up the embankment as they came at me sideways!