Marathon Winter Tyres - first commute report.

mwalters
mwalters Posts: 21
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
Having had a fall on black ice before Christmas I got myself a pair of Marathon Winter tyres from bike-discount.de and this morning was my first commute on them. My bike is a 26" wheeled Thorn Sherpa, usually shod with Marathon Pluses, and the 16 miles to work averages an hour plus or minus a couple of minutes. This morning's run was 1hr 07 mins - not bad considering the Winters are 26 x 1.75 @ 60 PSI vs the usual 26 x 1.35 @80 PSI.

Subjectively they felt more sluggish but not hugely so. The most obvious difference was the noise - it really does sound like you're riding over Rice Krispies! The temperature was -3 and there was plenty of frost around but only the odd frozen puddle that was obviously icy, and easily avoided. The couple of similar rides I've had on the Pluses I've been very cautious wherever the path/road was white over - not so this morning. Plenty of confidence to keep up a comfortable pace and I managed to find a stretch of ice to try some careful testing on. No sliding at all. I was more cautious coming down the final hill of the ride - usually 30mph+ but only just over 20 today.

They were no problem to fit although I did have to remove the mudguards to get enough clearance - I may get some larger ones so that it's easier when I switch the wheels back to those with the usual tyres. Some longer stays may be all that's needed.

First impressions are very positive - a definite boost to my confidence and I'll be happy to ride now on days that I'd otherwise be reaching for the car keys. Forecast is for snow tomorrow so that could be fun...

Comments

• bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I keep thinking I should get some, but they are so expensive that it's cheaper for me to drive or get the bus on those cold days each morning as it would take a couple of years to break even!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    BigMonka wrote:
    I keep thinking I should get some, but they are so expensive that it's cheaper for me to drive or get the bus on those cold days each morning as it would take a couple of years to break even!

Yes, but when you need the ice tyres on the bike (and I've not yet needed them this year) - that is the time that the traffic all gets snarled up so the alternatives are really crap. And it's fun riding past gridlocked traffic.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Not too expensive, I saw Snow Studs for £24 each recently. Three winters on them and no punctures and no stud loss.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.