Anyone tried pilates and spinning preparing for cycling

skid4.5
skid4.5 Posts: 12
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Just a thought to all newbies to road cycling. I have just started road cycling and incorporated pilates(for core strength) and spinning into my gym workout to prepare for it. I had my first group outing at the weekend with a couple of regular cyclists who are a couple of years younger than me and found much to my surprise that I spent a lot of the time waiting for them. Also they both commented on bad backs and backsides which thanks to the pilates didn't seem to affect me. I might be wrong but I do think spinning is great for road cycling as it is high intensity and the resistance u can accheive is in my opinion far higher than anything I have come across on my road bike.

Comments

• Well thats the CTC for you . they is all crocked :wink:
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • stealf
    stealf Posts: 49
    I don't do Pilates but Yoga instead. No reason for this other than easier to get to for me. A great help it's been in ironong out tights muscles, opening hips generally putting me in a better physical state enough to see me through a good couple of hours in the saddle qwithout any complaint, I'm 42 by the way and actually think that this has had a positive impact on my overall riding.
    Spinning is also beneficial I think, if you ignore the instructor you can get in easy HIT sessions and your more able tyo hold your HRT at particular level'
    A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness.
    James E. Starrs

Current Bikes
    1999 Trek 6000 still looking mint
    2007Spesh StumpJumper FSR Elite
    2012 Sabbath September - Ooohhhh is that Titanium?
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    Definitely good to supplement it. I struggle to get any decent interval work on the road, whereas on a spin bike, I can just go for it. I also do Pilates – a strong core helps in every sport and keeps my back happy.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I cant comment on pilates sessions, but I do simliar core exercises in the gym, along with "heavy leg" workouts. This seems to work (for me)

Spinning is excellent. As long as you dont cheat yourself, and only turn the dial to suit your mind, you have to push your self to the brink of being sick. Amazing for CV and leg strength when they simulate hill climb exercises. When I come out of a spinning class, my shirt is stuck to me, i am dizzy, feeling sick and cant walk. Most other people in the class come out with make up still on, or not even breaking a sweat.
  • I'd definitely recommend, i've been really slack recently, but I used to do it and found it helpful, whether coincidence or not, I had less niggles during that period, I only stopped due to a job / gym change and lack of time. I've read in passing quite a few pro-teams incorporate some form of exercise like this into their programmes, particularly off-season.
  • Yep try to do both in the gym over the colder months. Can't say that it helps with the endurance but has helped with maintaining short power outputs & as the most I race these days is just under an hour on the bike fits pretty well. Quite lucky with my gym there are a group of say 10 regular triathletes and we all push hard in spinning and keeps everyone motivated through the winter.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Also try doing squats to increase leg strength
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Yep try to do both in the gym over the colder months. Can't say that it helps with the endurance but has helped with maintaining short power outputs & as the most I race these days is just under an hour on the bike fits pretty well. Quite lucky with my gym there are a group of say 10 regular triathletes and we all push hard in spinning and keeps everyone motivated through the winter.

do you race at the bowl? (seeing your location)
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Also try doing squats to increase leg strength

But that won't actually help unless you're a track sprinter will it?
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    I've been spinning for around 4 years and helped big time on my fitness. Like others have said don't cheat yourself and turn the dial right up and feel the pain I come out p//s wet and like a beetroot but feel great after. Also good option for winter training. Seriously thinking about going Pilates for better core strength.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I am tempted to try Pilates. I've been cycling for about 6-7 months now and my back still starts to hurt after about 20-25miles, I've tried quite a few changes on my bike such as shorter stem, adjusting the saddle etc but it hasn't cured it yet.
  • stongle
    stongle Posts: 61
    Same as above on the Spinning, but I tend to either just hit the bike for a couple of hours or do classes Back 2 Back; 3-4 times a week#. Use it more for maintaining constant power levels (despite the dodgy power readings on the bikes), and don't tend to do all the bouncing in/out saddle stuff the girlies do.

I'm sure some people will turn their noses up, however due to working 60 odd hours a week I'd rather do that than riding in the dark.
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
    Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    I use spinning bikes whenever I can't get out on the bike - great exercise. Sometimes just steady effort, other times I'll do a Sufferfest workout. I've done pilates in the past and found it really good for improving my core, which is my weakness (lower back issues). I really notice it on the bike if I haven't done any core or stretching exercises for a while.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I'd strongly recommend core exercises of some sort to everyone. Regardless of the benefit for cycling it's for sure that they can make a big difference to how you feel.

They are easy to integrate into a training routine, just do 5 minutes of Pilates/planks/crunches before starting and it will keep you well toned and serve as a general warm up.

As for benefit to cycling. Well Bradley Wiggins added them into his training regime last year and ascribes that as one of the key reasons he was able to climb so much better.
    Martin S. Newbury RC