Disc Brakes: XT M785 vs SLX M675

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I'm needing new disc brakes.
Is there any noticeable difference between XT785 vs SLX675?
They will be for a Giant anthem with a lot of XC type riding and on 180mm disc up front and 160mm on the rear.

Are the XTs worth the extra cash?
Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• KernowCB
    KernowCB Posts: 174
    I had the same choice to make and went for the SLX based on the reviews. Haven't fitted them yet so can't say from personal experience but I didn't feel I would need the extra power of the XT's for the money.
    Whyte 905
  • mikeyj28
    if you don't mind me asking did you get a good deal on the slx brakes?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    XT's don't give more power, they give lighter weight....so it depends on how important weight is to you.

If you are riding XC, 160/160 is more than adeqate and you could have the same weight with SLX as you would with XT on 180/160!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I've just fitted SLX M675 to my bike and they are brilliant, I know other people who have XT and the SLX feel the same and have the same power but with XT you get a pad retaining bolt rathre than a cotter pin, free stroke adjustment, a chrome reservoir cover and less weight...but they work exactly the same. I've got a 203mm rotor on the front and 160mm on the back and will be swapping the front to a 180mm as it's too powerful really...and I like really strong brakes. Got mine from Rose using 2 x £10 codes which you get through an app on their facebook page and by joining their mailing list.
  • mikeyj28
    thanks guys

I'm leaning towards the SLX at the minute
  • I've had both. XT wins because you get a retaining bolt for the pads (you'll understand when you change the pads that it's worth it). The free stroke is nice too if you notice the difference (most won't). I found the cotter pin a PIA as i don't have pliers on my multi tool and won't buy a new one to accomodate slx brakes.
  • KernowCB
    KernowCB Posts: 174
    Had a chance to use the SLX brakes now and can confirm they are very good. Far better than my old Elixirs.

I paid £113 (IIRC) for the pair from bike-discount.de
    Excellent service from them and quick delivery.
    Whyte 905
  • Iam running SLX's........regarding the retainging pin for the pads.......all you have to do is tap the caliper out got to your local hardware store get a bolt n spring clip and your sorted.

if your running SLX's and want XT's you could have a go at this.http://huckingkitty.com/node/9
  • Iam running SLX's........regarding the retainging pin for the pads.......all you have to do is tap the caliper out got to your local hardware store get a bolt n spring clip and your sorted.

So you get your new brakes and invalidate the warranty by modifying them? Smart move!
  • Ive been running SLX's for a few years now..........Ive had my current set for over 12 months so warranty is over.....didnt say do it to your new breaks....just a option.
  • you didn't but the OP did state he was buying new brakes, so it's not a viable option really is it?
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    Just fitted m785's to my rockhopper. Haven't used them properly yet but a quick wizz round the block was impressive!! £124 from Rose bikes. Running 180/160 too.
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    Although a cotter pin is a bit of a faff when your hands are cold it's never going to seize like threaded pins can and there's no retaining clip to lose plus if you do lose the cotter pin they cost pennies to replace, IMO they're a better solution even if threaded pins look neater.

The more I use my M675 the more I'm impressed with them, I wish I'd got rid of my Elixir's a long time ago.
  • mulley
    mulley Posts: 70
    Love my slx brakes not tried the xt's but know you wont be disapointed with slx's. I got a bargain on a new set as the levers were arse about face front left and rear right. I paid £90 and that included new olives to switch the levers and shorten the hoses.
    Giant TCR
    Planet X Exocet 2
    Trek superfly fs
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    Neal_ wrote:
    I've just fitted SLX M675 to my bike and they are brilliant, I know other people who have XT and the SLX feel the same and have the same power but with XT you get a pad retaining bolt rathre than a cotter pin, free stroke adjustment, a chrome reservoir cover and less weight...but they work exactly the same. I've got a 203mm rotor on the front and 160mm on the back and will be swapping the front to a 180mm as it's too powerful really...and I like really strong brakes. Got mine from Rose using 2 x £10 codes which you get through an app on their facebook page and by joining their mailing list.

How did you get/use two codes?
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    white91 wrote:
    How did you get/use two codes?

I got one from their facebook page and another emailed to me after signing up for their news letter, neither worked at checkout when entered in the voucher code box so I put them both in the comments box which their website advised would then be deducted but as I checked out with paypal I was charged the full amount and had to chse them up for a refund so all good in the end. I think checking out with a debit/credit card would avoid this as you're only charged when the stuff ship plus you probably get a better exchange rate than paypal.
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    Thanks show 6 weeks till stock of xt arrives, would work out around £103 with vouchers applied, can sell my Formula Biancos then
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    Newfish wrote:
    Just fitted m785's to my rockhopper. Haven't used them properly yet but a quick wizz round the block was impressive!! £124 from Rose bikes. Running 180/160 too.

Are the levers the right way round from Rose?
    Lists the front brake as having a LH lever... BL-M785

Only ask as they are a German shop
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I expect they will be the European way round, which is wrong for us.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I ordered a set of the M675 last week from rose, arrived yesterday. I got a 10euro/pound (cant remember) voucher for liking on facebook. Again, it wouldn't work at the checkout, so put it in the comments box. I payed by paypal, so paid full amount. I notice on the delivery note/invoice that they have applied the code and gave me the reduction on the invoice total, but I guess i'll need to chase for a paypal refund?
    I did get a free gym bag - read drawstring type swimming bag size thing, which will do nicely for swimming which i've just started going again :)
    Oh and the levers are the euro style, ie back to front. 5 minute job to swap over. Came with 2 sets of inserts and olives for shortening which is nice, ones i've bought before have only ever came with 1. Fitted them to the enduro last night, back one is fine, hose length wise, front will need shortening.
  • mulley
    mulley Posts: 70
    My slx's came wrong way round but easy to swap. Still works out as a bargain even adding on cost of a little mineral oil.
    Giant TCR
    Planet X Exocet 2
    Trek superfly fs
  • DodgeT
    Shortened the front last night, 5 minute job and no bleeding needed.

Swapping and shortening the shimano stuff is so easy, people shouldn't be put off buying euro style.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Levi_501 wrote:
    I expect they will be the European way round, which is wrong for us.

Unless you like left front braking! Might be a roadie thing but I switched to European when I started road riding as you get better cable runs that way. My SLX M666s came from one of the German companies so they were the right way round for me. I'd not changed the original Avids around but I never found it a problem swapping between the two. But now all my bikes are left front.

Makes no difference if you are buying new as you'll almost certainly need to shorten the hoses anyway.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DodgeT
    Re the refund, didn't have to remind them, just got an email saying that they have refunded me the voucher saving, came out as £11.70 refunded. More than paid for the postage.