Blackspire stinger in 1x9 setup

BigColUK
BigColUK Posts: 69
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello

I am a bit of a newbie with modding my bike but I have fairly recently gone from a 3x9 to 2x9 setup. I have some issues with the front shifting (either doesn't drop to granny ring or goes too far and comes off). I've decided that I don't really need the granny ring and would like to try a 1x9 setup instead but with a smaller front ring (currently 36t).

My question is....I have already invested in a blackspire stinger. With my 2x9 setup, I have a 36-38 bashguard. As I am going to a single 32t up front, I will need to invest in another (smaller) bash. Should I continue with with the stinger-bash combination or do I need a chain guide?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Keep the stinger if you need it, it is no more or less needed when running 1x9 than 2x9.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the issue with running a bash that is too big is that the chain can rub when in the smaller rear cogs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'm happy to buy a smaller bash but can I get away without having a chain guide as well as I don't really want to buy both a bash and a guide? Never run without a mech up front so don't know what the impact of not having the guide is.
  • The Rookie
    You need a guide or the chain will come off....
    read on here but you have 3 basic options, an inner guide plate (ring like a raidium or static like an n-gear jumpstop), a guide or use a front mech aligned on the middle ring using the stops (good cheap short term measure as you alreday have a mech)
    Check link in my sig to my bike for an example of an inner guide ring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    What is the bike?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • It's a 2012 Stumpjumper S-Works Carbon FSR frame with the components from a 2009 Stumpy S-Works (frame/forks swapped on crash replacement scheme) so has M970 XTR Crankset, XTR Front Mech and SRAM X0 Shifters & rear mech.

Current setup is 36/22 Blackspire rings with Hope Bash and ISCG 05 mounted stinger. Just ordered a Hope 32t ring but not ordered the bash or guide yet.

As the carbon frame is a funny shape, I can't get a tube mounted guide so wondering if I should go for Hope Bash and Hope ISCG 05 mounted guide (and remove the stinger).
  • .....or a hope bash & a radium as per suggestion above from The Beginner (although might need some spacers at the M970 has a funny inner ring setup)
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Personally, I would stick with 2x9 on that and sort the shifting issues.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The raidium or similar inner guide ring sounds like a good solution, be sure it will clear the chain stays, some bikes can have a problem. You could use a BB mounted guide if the stinger is ISCG!
  • Thanks All

Got the radium, hope 32t single ring and hope bash. Kept the stinger on.

Setup looks great and been out on my first ride today at Gisburn Forest. Everything running brilliantly and the whole drivetrain is extremely smooth. Range of gears was fine for Gisburn but need to get out on some of the natural trails once the snow thaws to see if the 1x9 is really going to work for all of the terrain that I cover.