Tour down under bosses also looking at Lance

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited January 2013 in Pro race
According to one Belgian newspaper Tour down under organisers are also looking to recover the starting premiums given to Armstrong said to be $3 million dollars per year. Armstrong rode the tour down under in 2009, 2010 and 2011.See the following link for the full story.
http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/1001/Wielr ... medium=RSS
Ademort
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    He turned up. What's their problem? Some people need to take responsibility for their own decisions.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Unless there was a no doping clause in the contracts then its going nowhere. I suspect that it was just a turn up and ride contract which he has duly performed.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • The organiser, Mike Turter, has been made to feel the heat. He slobbered all over Lance and got him to turn up to the TDU for the wad of cash, trying to justify it by claiming that it would go to Liestrong - only for Lance to say, no, its my bunce.

My favourite story of the whole saga is Adelaide Council awarding him keys to the City. Some of the councillors used some taxpayers money to fly to Austin to present him with the keys, only to find him not at home. They returned to Adelaide, and posted them to him instead.

:lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    yeah, too little too late Turtur. I'm afraid by then there were "signs, my slippery friend, and more than whispers!"

(spot the quote nerds)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    The organiser, Mike Turter, has been made to feel the heat. He slobbered all over Lance and got him to turn up to the TDU for the wad of cash, trying to justify it by claiming that it would go to Liestrong - only for Lance to say, no, its my bunce.

My favourite story of the whole saga is Adelaide Council awarding him keys to the City. Some of the councillors used some taxpayers money to fly to Austin to present him with the keys, only to find him not at home. They returned to Adelaide, and posted them to him instead.

:lol:

wasn't he always out when someone turned up unexpectedly on his doorstep to see him?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    RichN95 wrote:
    He turned up. What's their problem? Some people need to take responsibility for their own decisions.

100% this. It's their own stupid fault. He never agreed he'd ride clean, just that he'd turn up. I'm as ready for taking Lance dry in the ass as the next man, but some of these claims are getting silly.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690

.. I'm as ready for taking Lance dry in the ass as the next man.....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Bigpikle wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Come now - don't be such a babe in the woods. I'm sure MR is referring to Armstrong riding a donkey without water.
    Something like that.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Adelaide got their publicity and were rewarded with increased visitors to more than offset LAs appearance money costs. They are now going all moralistic because they have a huge financial defecit.....not caused by the TDU but by the politicians own ineptitude and are simply looking for an easy scapegoat.

I'd be sorry to see Mike Turtur be held solely responsible; the decision to give LA the fee was ultimately a Govt one, one which they benefited from - until a few months ago.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Also, as far as I am aware there is no actual evidence or testimony against LA post 2005 ... just 'beyond reasonable doubt' that the Leopard (yeah look how that worked out) didn't change it's spots ...
  • This bandwagon is getting awfully crowded.

Next thing we'll have riders denying ever having ridden with him.

Oh, sorry Brad!!
  • I have never ridden with Lance. Just want to make that clear.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    The McQuaids also paid lance a couple of million of Euro to ride the Tour of Ireland. After having paid that amount they had to shorten the race to three stages, and when it rained, lance just climbed off the bike.

Rotten. The McQuaids & Lance.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:

Right. They were idiots to give him that in the first place. I remember the photos of the fawning Aussies....
    Contador is the Greatest
  • What about all the local Aussie business that must profited from his appearances, is that all going to be given back too ? This is getting pathetic.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

When I look at your post the 'next man' is Big George. LOL
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Why not play the Americans at their own game, make extra money out of promoting someone then make even more money out of suing the bum after. :P
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

When I look at your post the 'next man' is Big George. LOL

LOL :)

Lance says "Ouch!" ;)
  • If you think that they fawned upon L A and they did, you would appreciate the fuss they made of 'Tiger'. It seems that Australians have had a 'woodie' for bossy Americans ever since the Japanese bombed Darwin.
    'fool'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    RichN95 wrote:

This. It's not as if there were very strong rumours among us mere supporters by then so it must have been more or less common knowledge for people actively involved in pro racing surely?