Dolomites stay - multi day event

Matvsf
Matvsf Posts: 2
edited January 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hello,

In 2012 i rode an event in French Alps Thonon to Menton. It was 6 day/stages event.
Now I am looking for a similar event in Dolomites (such like Thonon to Trieste or something like that).
Does someone can advice me ? Is there any tour operator ? Travel agency ? Event ?

Many thanks for your help !
Mathieu

Comments

• bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Raid Dolomites - bit longer than 6 days though. I believe Marmot are doing it for the first time this year IIRC.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Sorry I can't help with your logistics.I've been skiing in the Dolomites(LIvigno) it's a beautiful place.I reckon it will be harder climbing the Stelvio than hurtling down the slopes kamikaze style,but no less memorable.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    A good cycling base in the dolomites is Cortina del' ampazzo. Lots of iconic peaks within easy reach, and a lovely town too.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • second Cortina - good place to stay, food n drink, good climbs and cafes/bars - also fun to watch well to do italians in fir coats and lots of crazy little dogs.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    The Badia valley is also great for a base, close to the amazing Sella loop and most of the other passes, including in my view the most beautiful of the Dolomites, de Passo Erbe. It's also the home of the Maratona dles Dolomites. Ski Villages like La Villa, Corvara and Badia itself.

For events, apart from the Maratona, there's the Giro di Dolomiti, a week long sportive, if that's the kind of thing you're after. http://www.girodolomiti.com/
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    There are a number of possibilities for a base.

The Alta Badia (Corvara etc) is convenient for the Sella Ronda and offers a number of possibilities for circular rides - it is on the north east corner of the Dolomites though. Cortina has some iconic passes within easy reach, but IMO the place itself is a bit expensive and clogged with traffic.

There are some less well known places that are also worth considering. Canazei is also convenient for the Sella Ronda as well as passes like the Fedaia (at the foot of the Marmolada glacier) and the Passo Rolle. Alleghe is a nice unpretentious place which offers the possibility of a number of circuits (albeit fairly demanding ones).

Not a competive event, but it's worth knowing about the Sella Ronda Bike Day (in fact there are two of them - one in September and one in June) when the Sella Ronda is closed to cars and motorbikes.