Anyone used this eBay workstand?

Plyphon
Plyphon Posts: 433
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOME-MECHANIC ... 230d2a53af

Hiya,

Anyone used the above link? Reckon it's worth it for 30 quid? Will it destroy my carbon seatpost? :lol:

Comments

• Looks alright for price. As for the seatpost question it looks to have a screw tighten on the jaws so as long as you don't over do it you should be fine. If your worried about it scratching you could always apply some rubber matting to the inside of the jaws and a drop of glue.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    Yes Ive got one, bought it from Lidl. Its quite well made and is currently been holding my hard tail in the air with no problems since Saturday (must put that back wheel on :roll: ). The adjustable feet allow it to stand in quite a small area and still support the weight of a bike.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I have that exact one. It's nice and stable but the clamp has started rotating on the bar - nothing some rubber cant sort out - so yes, buy one! Its dead handy! It's for clamping the frame though, not sure if it will work on the seat post (never tried).
  • Plyphon
    Cheers guys. Think I'll grab one come payday. Glad to know it's not a complete pile of poo!
  • Yes that is exactly the same stand that Lidl have sold in the past. Works fine on my top tube or alu seat post.
    Haven't used it on carbon but I don't see why it wouldn't be any different to any other workstand.
  • Plyphon
    There's a Lidl near me, whats the chances of them having it instore?
  • I too bought it on Friday from the same seller and it arrived today, not had it out yet though. How much is the one from LIDL?
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Not much difference in price from when Lidl are selling them. Lidl only sell them once a year I think? And they go fasttttt...

Can't fault it for the price, no good with my 27.2 seatpost and don't think it'd work well with other sized seatpost. It's great clamping the top tube but sometimes does rotate (but not much) and if it comes with the adjustable post to hold the handle bars straight like the Lidl one then that comes in very handy and makes it more stable.

The magnetic tray is great too. The bar with the clamp attached moves out enough to be able to spin the cranks which is great for adjusting gears.
  • Hi

i have that workstand, i brought it from that seller about 8 weeks ago

its a great stand and well worth the money, also because that ebay seller sells all the extra bits for it. so if you damage anything or want to buy a extra tool tray you can.
    bikestand_zps4e47e606.jpg
  • Plyphon
    Hi Winter zombie,

thanks for posting - can you confirm if it works well enough clamping your seatpost?

I have a carbon 456 frame and really don't think a clamp on there will do it any favors!

Cheers!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It seems okay, personally with my c456 I use one of these:

96fb7809c10b051df99c622bb8bb8cd59aaeba95_430x390.jpg

To prevent clamping carbon seatposts and frames. Alternatively pick up a dirt cheap aluminium seatpost to use when the bike is in the stand.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    It seems okay, personally with my c456 I use one of these:

96fb7809c10b051df99c622bb8bb8cd59aaeba95_430x390.jpg

To prevent clamping carbon seatposts and frames. Alternatively pick up a dirt cheap aluminium seatpost to use when the bike is in the stand.

+1 and its ok for my seatpost (I use a spare cheapo alu one). Think it does state its for frame and seatpost too.
  • Plyphon
    That'a an interesting tool!

I think I will first try the clamp with some rubber matting in there for extra grip on my carbon post. should be alright tho i cant see my post crushing it's fairly thick carbon!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The problem with carbon posts is more the torsional load than the clamping, carbon posts are generally designed to be clamped ('cos they're seatposts innit!) but when you clamp you have the entire weight of the front end twisting the post.

Personally the spare post is a no brainer, the above tool is awesome and so easy, but only really worth it if you have a lot of different bikes.