Fixed club rides?

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Want to try some Sunday club runs, TCC or KW, is it a big faux pa?

Not see much on their websites except make sure it is roadworthy.

Comments

• pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Not being a member of a club I may be wrong but I can't see that there would be any problem? I am sure a few would use a fixed gear in the winter months no?
  • iPete wrote:
    Want to try some Sunday club runs, TCC or KW, is it a big faux pa?

Not see much on their websites except make sure it is roadworthy.

It will be a red flag to a bull you'll find yourself dragged up the steepest hill they can find! That's what used to happen any way!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    Let's start a fixed club! Well maybe not a club, but a regular fixed cycle anyway.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    No problem (that I'm aware of) with KW, as long as your bike is legal i.e. has a brake as well as fixed. IF you're riding in a group you may not have as much notice/visibility so you may end up having to stop quickly if something goes wrong. Ploughing into the back of someone and using the excise "I only had my legs as brakes" wouldn't go down to well. Bear in mind as well that the rides don't only go up hills. Some of the Surrey hills I've been down can easily see you over 40mph on the descent.

All in all, while you probably can, I'm not sure I'd recommend it, unless you go on one of the flatter routes such as Windsor.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • iPete
    Thanks, I've seen the Windsor route on Strava, my neck of the woods, only issue is keeping up going downhill!

Soon wiggle will stock the geared frame I want, just getting itchy to get out there...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    LFGSS?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • iPete
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    LFGSS?

nearly went on the 'burning bridges' ride last weekend but its more loon around london with pub stops! actually, when I put it that way it sounds like a plan...
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    There is a dude in my club who occasionally rides fixed. He tells me it is hard work - but TBH the downhills are where we drop him (and where he really suffers). If the dudes in the club have a problem with it, they're probably just snobs.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I found that going downhill was much harder than going uphill on a fixie (assuming correct gearing in the first place).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    It is my understanding that it is only a faux pas if you either hold up the group or drop them.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Roastie wrote:
    There is a dude in my club who occasionally rides fixed. He tells me it is hard work - but TBH the downhills are where we drop him (and where he really suffers). If the dudes in the club have a problem with it, they're probably just snobs.

Wow, Roastie's back! Long time...! I thought you disappeared off to Bristol or something... On the fixed club ride thing, I think you would be hard pressed to keep up on a decent paced club ride, I've only ever seen fixie riders on slower rides. If you got enough people together though it might be possible to come up with a fixie friendly club ride....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Hey, we get a few guys out occasionally on fixies, more on Tuesday nights than weekends though. I think having brakes is essential and making sure you can keep up/ ride smoothly. Our Sunday runs tend to be hills and probably not suited to fixies but Saturdays are flatter with only one climb/ descent where we re-group afterwards anyway. The main thing would be the ability to ride through and off (constant rotation of lead riders) on a fixed on undulating roads (not meaning that you need to have done it before, the technique is always explained to new riders but that you can keep your pace smooth and not slow the riders behind). I know you're very strong and think you'd be fine although the fast group would probably not be doable fixed (not sure about medium either), but the club normally asks new riders to join the slowest group first time to check that they understand the skills before progressing up the groups if they want to. Hope that helps a bit!
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Roastie wrote:

Wow, Roastie's back! Long time...! I thought you disappeared off to Bristol or something... On the fixed club ride thing, I think you would be hard pressed to keep up on a decent paced club ride, I've only ever seen fixie riders on slower rides. If you got enough people together though it might be possible to come up with a fixie friendly club ride....
    Our club rides only get *really* fast at important Strava segments ...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Roastie wrote:
    Roastie wrote:

Our club rides only get *really* fast at important Strava segments ...
    no one on our rides ever mentions strava but you're right, I've heard other riders out there pootling along discussing where segments start and preparing to put the hammer down for them, funny how strava rules some people's rides!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.