33 Winners - 17 Dopers

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited January 2013 in Pro race
I know there's loads of posts about Armstrong / Oprah and I should be strung out for starting another - but I can't read 4,000 posts to see if this link is on;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21024288

The bit I like is the 33 winners since 1980 - 17 tainted by doping. Well I don't like it I find it interesting. Did Bjarne Rils really look like that in 1996? :D

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ahh, but you could argue 87,88, 91,92,93,94 and 95 should be on that list too
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RideOnTime
    and the ears on Sastre a crime in itself...
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    RideOnTime wrote:
    I know there's loads of posts about Armstrong / Oprah and I should be strung out for starting another - but I can't read 4,000 posts to see if this link is on;

The bit I like is the 33 winners since 1980 - 17 tainted by doping. Well I don't like it I find it interesting. Did Bjarne Rils really look like that in 1996? :D

A good stat that and thats just the ones caught. It will never change either considering the rewards.

Each team/rider will just think we will be more carefull/cun*ing.

* t or an n
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:

And you'd be wrong
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Timoid. wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

And you'd be wrong

Roche doped.

And also, shows what I know, I thought it was a given that big Mig was a doper?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    RideOnTime wrote:
    I can't read 4,000 posts to see if this link is on;

Search is your friend.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Timoid. wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

And you'd be wrong

Roche doped.

I'd agree on both fronts. None cycling friend of mine saw the same story and asked me if anybody else was suspicious. I thought Roche and Big Mig were stone wallers.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Timoid. wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

And you'd be wrong

Roche doped.

Roche: No positive test, no admission, no concrete proof.
    Delgado: Only positive was for something not yet on the banned list.
    Indurain: Just "knowing" is not exactly an watertight case - see Roche above.

Based on cycling's own rules none of these guys are dirty.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • LeicesterLad
    Timoid. wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

And you'd be wrong

Roche doped.

Roche: No positive test, no admission, no concrete proof.
    Delgado: Only positive was for something not yet on the banned list.
    Indurain: Just "knowing" is not exactly an watertight case - see Roche above.

Based on cycling's own rules none of these guys are dirty.

Oh yeah, I mean I know that - I just assumed Iain was pointing out that just because some riders on that list do not have their names coloured in doesn't mean that they were clean. Somebody reading that for the first time would look at it and assume that a lot of the 90's must have been clean etc, when reality is quite different.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    We re in to that Blood Manipulation Doping or just the odd Rave pill to get you up the final col doping again arent we...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    ddraver wrote:
    We re in to that Blood Manipulation Doping or just the odd Rave pill to get you up the final col doping again arent we...

It's all doping in my eyes.

And anyway, Roche was accused of EPO not popping party pills.
  • And anyway, Roche was accused of EPO not popping party pills.

Oh well, that proves it, doesn't it?
  • LeicesterLad

If it's good enough for some...

and:
    In March 2000 the Italian judge Franca Oliva published a report detailing the investigation into sports doctors including Conconi. This official judicial investigation unequivocally found that Roche was administered EPO in 1993, his last year in the peloton. Files part of the investigation allegedly detail a number of aliases for Roche including Rocchi, Rossi, Rocca, Roncati, Righi and Rossini. In 2004 Judge Oliva unambiguously found that Roche had taken EPO during 1993 but due to the statute of limitations, neither Roche nor his team-mates at Carrera would be prosecuted.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:

Then you can probably include every rider from time immemorial, until maybe Cuddles?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Then you can probably include every rider from time immemorial, until maybe Cuddles?

I wouldn't bet on Cuddles. I wouldn't bet on anybody who even drew breath near Ferrari.
  • And anyway, Roche was accused of EPO not popping party pills.

and:
    In March 2000 the Italian judge Franca Oliva published a report detailing the investigation into sports doctors including Conconi. This official judicial investigation unequivocally found that Roche was administered EPO in 1993, his last year in the peloton. Files part of the investigation allegedly detail a number of aliases for Roche including Rocchi, Rossi, Rocca, Roncati, Righi and Rossini. In 2004 Judge Oliva unambiguously found that Roche had taken EPO during 1993 but due to the statute of limitations, neither Roche nor his team-mates at Carrera would be prosecuted.

So why isn't he on the list in the link RideOnTime posted?
  • I wouldn't bet on Cuddles. I wouldn't bet on anybody who even drew breath near Ferrari.

And we can rule out Sastre as well, he is Spanish after all. :roll:
  • LeicesterLad

and:

So why isn't he on the list in the link RideOnTime posted?

Post Deleted.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Bloody sorry state of affairs really. I'm wondering what a chart of the entire race would have looked like as in every race ever? Probably mostly pink...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    In a just world the '87 winner would have been a ANC-Halfords rider.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • In a just world the '87 winner would have been a ANC-Halfords rider.

Ha! Let's give it to Adrian Timmis :)
  • iainf72

I wouldn't bet on Cuddles. I wouldn't bet on anybody who even drew breath near Ferrari.

What's your position on Lemond then?
  • LeicesterLad
    iainf72 wrote:

Lemond refused to go near Ferrari from what Ive read didn't he?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=forum.thread&id=98

He drew breath near him. :P

Cuddles never worked with Ferrari. He did meet him though.
  • LeicesterLad
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=forum.thread&id=98

He drew breath near him. :P

Cuddles never worked with Ferrari. He did meet him though.

OK OK, drawing breath may be a little OTT. Meeting a renowned doping Dr is a different kettle though. I just don't see the need for any genuine athlete to contact a person like that!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Greg LeMond used to coach Michael Rasmussen. He keeps that quiet these days
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    In a just world the '87 winner would have been a ANC-Halfords rider.

Of course, Shane Sutton actually lead the 87 Tour. Right up to the point the second rider finished the prologue.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RideOnTime
    Wiggins and Sutton got knocked off their bikes within weeks of each other last year.

Not saying there's a connection.