rotor/caliper alignment

JimmerG
JimmerG Posts: 143
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've noticed that the pads grab the rotor about 3mm in from the outside edge. Has anyone tried adding a washer or two to the mounting, in order to move the caliper out slightly so the whole pad hits all of the braking surface? I reckon I'm missing out some leverage and pad contact at the moment...

Six brakes and rotors...

Any experiences or ideas?

Thanks

J

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    perhaps you are using the wrong bracket?
  • pesky_jones
    what brakes are they, what type and size are the rotors?
  • JimmerG
    JimmerG Posts: 143
    Ah, they're actually deore calipers, 180mm SLX rotors with the correct brackets, and Tora forks.

Everything is correct, I'm just trying to eek out the last few mms!

J
  • pesky_jones
    I'd say the best thing would be to upload pictures. Like i said, i would of thought it is the wrong bracket size but if your're sure its not. Sounds stupid but the bracket is the right way round?

I assumed it was just the rear brake for some reason, is it both?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I can't imagine it's 'wrong' by 3mm, if it's wrong it's usually 'wronger' than that! Just sounds like a tolerance stackup although on most calipers get the disc through the pads that much and its rubbing the caliper!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    Sorry for the sh1t drawing, just easier then trying to explain

is yor situation either of these?
    Untitled_zps4e0bc025.jpg
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,170
    nice pix - it's got to be the set up on the right as the OP is takling about using washers to move the calliper further out.
  • pesky_jones
    yeah thought it might be, but wasnt sure. if you put extra washers on it might start vibrating and shudder. not sure though
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I can't imagine it's 'wrong' by 3mm, if it's wrong it's usually 'wronger' than that! Just sounds like a tolerance stackup although on most calipers get the disc through the pads that much and its rubbing the caliper!
    This. Post a pic, or everyone is just randomly imagining things.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools