Gearing

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Problems with the gearing on my patriot 7+. The chain only really runs smoothly on the inner cogs of the rear casette and produces an unhealthy noise with the others. The chain will completely come off if say on the larger chainring + the innermost cog on the cassette. This is the set-up:

Truvativ/Sram Ruktion crankset with bashguard (dual chainring 18 gears), Howitzer Race BB, Sram X9 rear Mech, Sram X9 front mech, Sram X7 Shifters

Is it likely to be a set-up problem as i can not see where the problem is coming from? The chain is oiled and chainring and cassette in good condition.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Is you mech and hanger all straight?
  • pesky_jones
    Is you mech and hanger all straight?

Yes, well it appears to be anyway.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Make sure they're indexed properly - read 'Read this first' below.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    Yeah i think i have indexed properley, but will have another play tonight to make sure. Cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unless your large ring is in the middle position rather than a double outer you shouldn't really be in big/big anyway!

Chain stretch checked?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    Nope, i do not know how to check chain stretch. I only ended up in big/big to see what happened at the full extent of the problem, if you see what i mean. Basically, on either chainring, it only runs smoothly on the middleish cogs.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Unless your large ring is in the middle position rather than a double outer you shouldn't really be in big/big anyway!

As it is a double specific chain set with built in bash one could assume this is a non issue. Also, when is a bash added to a triple using the outer ring?