If you arent Irish, dont try to do the accent.

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOOQVvYLgZs

I cant remember the name of the well established actor who said that the northern irish accent is singularly the most difficult accent to replicate if you werent born there. Many actors have bodged the southern irish accent ,which is a lot easier to do than the northern irish one , but none have ever done a convincing northern one...........ever. The clip shows some abominable efforts from hollywood movies trying to do an irish accent that fail miserably.
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    They try to over act the accent, our accent is a bastardish version of Scots, Norman, English and god knows what else thrown in for good measure. I hate hearing it on TV, cringeworthy in the extreme.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The most useful insight you can get with accents is to hear someone "doing" yours. Thirty seconds of a guy from Brynaman trying to speak Essex and I've never tried an accent since - I know how it sounds
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • There's a few exceptions - Daniel Day Lewis in In the Name of the Father. Charlie Cox in Boardwalk Empire.

But generally yes, people doing our accent sound ridiculous. There are some real shockers in the NI scenes of Sons of Anarchy.