Overshoes STAT!!

gosport_commuter
gosport_commuter Posts: 185
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
My first sub zero commute of the winter this morning. Mostly with my various layers and warmers I was ok. BUT, the same cannot be said for my toes which were really uncomfortable even with 2 pairs of socks.

So recommend me some overshoes if you will to go over my size 8.5 shimano mountain bike shoes. Please reference wiggle or chain reactions if possible as I'm stuck at work without my wallet so have to rely on paypal and saved details. Cheap as possible - much obliged!

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLPXOSH/planet_x_neoprene_overshoes

Those are good if Planet X take paypal - can't remember if they do

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-winter-toe-cover/

I wore these this morning with defeet socks (1 pair) and was fine
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    BBB Heavey Duty or PX, both cheap as chips.

The BBB ones fit on really easily the PX ones have loads more reflective bits on
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Oddly enough I wore my old Altura neoprene overshoes for the first time today. Over my Shimano MW80s and my feet were positively toasty. In fact for the first time in ages I actually got the clothing spot on. -3 to -4 in places and I was lovely and warm when I got to work.

(completely knackered of course... marathon winter knackered)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Minus 4 today.

I had my Kendas Air Tunner over my dhb cheapos and they were OK for about 40 minutes of the hour long cycle.

I think the main problem is cold coming up through the sole rather than down through the overshoe.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    PX do Paypal. I've had their neoprene ones and they worked well.
  • (completely knackered of course... marathon winter knackered)

That's a whole new level of knackered IMO.

OP: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-heavy-duty-oss-shoe-covers/

Highly recommended.
  • Thanks all. I'm liking the px ones atm. Is there anything else I "need" for a tenner from there to nullify the delivery charge?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Thanks all. I'm liking the px ones atm. Is there anything else I "need" for a tenner from there to nullify the delivery charge?

Lights are cheap as chips as well, add a couple for back ups to bulk out the order.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

It'll come to you. I've been doing 125 miles a week on an MTB with the Spikers. After the first couple of days I thought I had jelly where my legs used to be but very quickly I'm doing those distances at a reasonable (for an MTB in the middle of winter) pace and feeling good on it.

Even Strava seems to realise the effect. Uploaded my rides last night but forgot to swap from 18lb Volagi to 28lb Cube - 500kcals for the V shot up to 900kcals for the MTB on Spikers! :shock: :wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Thanks all. I'm liking the px ones atm. Is there anything else I "need" for a tenner from there to nullify the delivery charge?

Spoke reflectors? I like my spoke reflectors.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    -5 here, wrong clothes and got in all sweaty but my feet were fine;

Northwave Celcius, Woolie Boolie as inner socks and Seal Skin Thermal long socks.
  • meanredspider
    gbsahne wrote:
    Northwave Celcius, Woolie Boolie as inner socks and Seal Skin Thermal long socks.

Holey Moley - it was -5C not -15C!!! :wink::mrgreen:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157

That's a whole new level of knackered IMO.

OP: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-heavy-duty-oss-shoe-covers/

Highly recommended.

I 2nd this! Rode on road and done some serious mudplugging with these and superb.
  • Used my PX overshoes for first time at RP. Did the job, make sure you get the sizing right because I ordered S/M for my 41 MTB shoes and they fit (but at a stretch).

Did my first commute in cold cold weather too (-2 ish)...main roads are fine, just the smaller/ less busy roads early have that 'frosty white surface' .

Q? Is is recommended to put PX Overshoes over normal trail trainers?
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439

There's a bloke in my office that wears neoprene overshoes over normal trainers, They'll probably wear out round the openings on your pedals, but they're cheap enough to replace.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Thanks all, after some deliberation I went and ordered the BBBs. Hope they don't take too long to turn up!
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I had some similar to the Planet X ones and they got completely shredded underneath and ended up riding up over the toe/falling apart. I was wondering if this was because I use MTB shoes and they are designed for road shoes. Or perhaps that is just par for the course?
  • meanredspider
    Thanks all, after some deliberation I went and ordered the BBBs. Hope they don't take too long to turn up!

Great overshoes. No idea what the PX ones are like but you shouldn't be disappointed with the BBBs
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    PX overshoes and Sealskin socks with dhb M2.0C shoes sandwiched in the middle makes for warm feet in Brizzle
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    andyrr wrote:
    PX do Paypal.
    When it works......the buttons wouldn't work last night (IE or Firefox)....

If it's cold like now I just change from my 'desk' socks to my thicker cycling socks, you only need overshoes if you aren't trying hard enough........surely?

2 pairs of socks can make it worse if they are too tight, the trapped air is the insualtion not the material itself.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • meanredspider
    you only need overshoes if you aren't trying hard enough........surely?

Um no - I don't find the muscles in my toes are doing much work in my ultrastiff cycling shoes so how do they generate any heat? I can be sweating profusely up top with frozen toes. In fact, the faster you go, the colder they are likely to be chilled by the air flowing over them. The big advantage overshoes have over extra sock, IME, is that they effectively block all the vents in the shoes. Most socks aren't very "windproof".
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My mtb shoes are a great fit. So great that they are actually a bit tight with Endura BaaBaas underneath and it's cutting off circulation in my toes.

So, I've ordered some BBB Arctic Duty overshoes and I'm going to be using thinner socks.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688
    you only need overshoes if you aren't trying hard enough........surely?

Um no - I don't find the muscles in my toes are doing much work in my ultrastiff cycling shoes so how do they generate any heat? I can be sweating profusely up top with frozen toes. In fact, the faster you go, the colder they are likely to be chilled by the air flowing over them. The big advantage overshoes have over extra sock, IME, is that they effectively block all the vents in the shoes. Most socks aren't very "windproof".

In fact most are designed with lots of vents and mesh panels to aid cooling in the summer. On-One Thicky socks and PX Neoprene Overshoes* did it for me this morning, and I'm very much a cold toes and fingers person.

* PX are doing a bundle with socks overshoes a cap and gloves atm.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • prawny wrote:

There's a bloke in my office that wears neoprene overshoes over normal trainers, They'll probably wear out round the openings on your pedals, but they're cheap enough to replace.

Brill...cheers for that...commute home last night was grim...very cold hands and feet and even pedals were slippery...No commute in for me today!
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • Quick update: BBB Overshoes arrived yesterday and they got their first outing today. Single pair of normal sports socks, 0 degrees, - on the way home this was combined with heavy snow, then driving sleet, followed by substantial rain!

All I can say is mmmmmmmmmm tooastyyyy!

dry shoes after 10 miles home, not so much as a blue toe in sight! thanks all - one of my top buys I reckon.
  • what did one shoe cover say to the other

its overshoe! :oops:

don't bother showing me the door, i'll use the window :mrgreen:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1