Fox Float 32 Forks 140mm

Alan P
Alan P Posts: 127
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just bought a pair of lovely Kashima coated Fox 140mm forks and will be fitting them before this weekend, but need a bit of advice please. The bike is a Lapierre Zesty 714 2012 model, with full carbon frame.

Before I take the hacksaw to the stem and simply chop it to the same as the ones I'm removing, I wondered if I could experiment with stem height a little. There are 30mm of spacers under the stem at the moment, which is the max that Fox recommend. Am I ok to put more spacers under the stem or is it generally a no no that anymore than 30mm is too much?
Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I presume you indent to cut the steerer?

Personally if Fox say a max of 30, I wouldn't go over 40mm...assuming your not a total Lard arse who also ploughs through rock gardens and into step ups with no mechanical sympathy at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can stick some above the stem though, so you can leave it a bit long.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    as above, stick some below and some above and play around with whatever feels good. You can always leave some above just so you know you have enough steerer length when it comes to getting a new frame/selling up
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Alan P
    Alan P Posts: 127
    Thanks guys, I'll try another 20mm longer and play around with it to see what feels best.

Cheers
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
    Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)