I keep breaking my rear wheel!

dannye2510
dannye2510 Posts: 12
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all :)

Please excuse my lack of knowledge....

Every time i go off-road on my mountain bike i end up coming home with a wibble wobble back wheel :(

Iv'e been told there is two types of rear hub? I have the one with a spindle which i keep bending, mostly probably due to my weight (18st) so.... I need to change the hub? Is it something to do with the bearings being on the outside to make it more ridged?

all info with me much appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you have an old or cheap bike that uses a spin on block rather than a cassette. these hubs have the drive side bearing quite far in to the center of the hub unlike newer cassette hubs.

the hub widths are also different so a new wheel may not fit and may not be suitable for the number of gears you have.

more info needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    As above

Assuming your rear drop outs are 135mm, I would buy a decent hub, Hope Pro II or Shimano XT springs to mind, but there are plenty. If as NL says, you will need a different 'free hub' cassette.

Then have a decent rim, Mavic EX721 or 823 will probably be your best bet.

For reassurance, there are heavier and stronger riders. On mtbr, there is a (very nice) chap who is 6'10" and a decent size who runs 863 rims on Pro II hubs.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Levi_501 wrote:
    , Hope Pro II or Shimano XT springs to minds.
    The Cheaper Shimano hubs are just as strong, I'd suggest just getting a decent rear wheel (if it will fit) with something like an M475 rear hub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    sounds like you have an old or cheap bike

Cheap... its a Boss Mayhem and it was all i could afford at the time. I'm beginning to wish i had waited till i could get more money together though :(

Thanks for the advice guys i will check them out :)
  • The Rookie
    Measure the width between the dropouts first so we know the wheel width, how many speeds is it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 145mm, 21speed..
  • The Rookie
    145mm, are you sure? Internal width of the frame where the rear wheel sits....135mm is likley, if not narrower.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yes sorry its 135mm, i had the wheel on still when i measured last night..... :S