Adjustments to remove cycling rounded shoulders ?

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited January 2013 in Road general
Anyone able to shine some light on what bike fit changes are typical when trying to remove a bad postural position such as rounded shoulders ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    I always find that wearing Assos or Rapha Jerseys and Bib Shorts really improves my position.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    LOL..............but seriously , I think I suffer from rounded shoulders on my bike and the left hand side of my neck is reminding me every time after 90 mins cycling, got a bike fit lined up for next tues and I am just curious as to what is typical fit adjustment for this.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Raffles wrote:
    LOL..............but seriously , I think I suffer from rounded shoulders on my bike and the left hand side of my neck is reminding me every time after 90 mins cycling, got a bike fit lined up for next tues and I am just curious as to what is typical fit adjustment for this.

Most likely it's not a fit adjustment, it's a physiological adjustment. Sounds like you need to stretch the pectoral/front shoulder area, and strengthen the rear of your shoulders/upper back. That'll pull you "flatter" across the chest, reducing the rounding.

That can work in conjunction with the bike fit, but I would hope your fitter gives some sort of postural assessment. I've been doing postural correction/strengthening work and it's meant I can adopt a more dropped position than I used to be able to manage, while remaining comfortable.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Maybe some stretching of our legs? Kicking other cyclists might work.....
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved