Do i really need 5.10's?

2»

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Have you tried AM41's? I went from 5:10 freeriders to AM41's (same pedals) and there isn't much at all in it for grip. I won't go back to 5:10's
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    i've used both. had a pair of 5.10 impacts for about 4 years until they finally fell apart and since then been usinge shimano am41's

5.10 do have better grip, but not light years ahead. the impacts were also pretty indistructable. Down side is they cost a fair wack more and, imo more importantly, soak up water like a sponge and take positively geological timescales to dry our - a right pain in the arse whenn you away for a long weekend riding in the autum / winter. They're also pretty heavy

AM41's grip isn't as good (have lost my feet onece or twice ion the past few year but nothing major) but is pretty near the stealth rubber. they also keep your feet dryer because of the lace flap and definately dry quicker when wet. if you shop around you can get them a fair bit cheaper. also lighter, but not as sturdy as the impacts, 2 years in and mine are a little worse for wear.

both are pig ugly
  • I have had Five Ten freeriders and they are incredibly grippy and a great shoe in dry weather but they are incredibly absorbant and not good in British weather. I have just replaced them with Shimano AM41's which are very nearly as grippy but much better suited to British weather. They aren't waterproof but not as absorbant. The Shimano shoes are also much better made.

My AM40s are disintegrating (outer coming off and sole come away) from this years wet riding. Interesting what you say about the AM41s as I find the AM40s have a lot of padding inside that soak up water; and they let it in easily now the outer has started to come off.
    I have some Freeriders I recently bought so it will be interesting to see the difference (I intend to glue up the 2 breathing holes on shoe outer)
    That said the AM40s are a cracking shoe and very grippy.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I've never had 5.10s so I can catagorically say you don't need them. I've had Shimano AM41s instead. Grip is good, as is stiffness, but if they're as much better than 5.10s in wet weather as people say then I'd hate to own 5.10s. My AM41s can takes days (as in 3-4) to dry out by themselves. Yeah, they're ugly, but they do the job well and no one looks good in their stormtrooper outfit, no matter what your mum tells you. I've just this morning bought some Sombrio X-Float shoes on CRC to try in the summer. They get decent enough reviews and for £31 in the price-drop thing I can't complain too much if they don't last too well.