Import duty from the US, taxes etc

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
stupid question no doubt, but...

if i buy something from the states and it gets shipped to me direct by the seller, it is subject to taxes etc when it comes into the country.

if i buy something form the states and get it delivered to a friend over there, who then sends it on to me over here, would it still be subject to tax, as for all the authorites know it could be a gift or something.

im not sure why it wouldnt be, but if say relatives were sending a birthday present from there to here, that wouldnt get taxed, so im not sure.

any one know!, appreciate non sarcastic answers please, even though i have left myself open to them!!!

Comments

• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    you sure do!

2.2 Do I have to pay import duties and/or import VAT on goods sent to me?

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:

customs duty
    excise duty
    import VAT

and must be paid whether:

you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift
    the goods are new or used (including antiques)
    the goods are for your private use or for re-sale

figure around 30% on top of value of goods
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    This site is quite handy for stuff like that:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-impor ... 154948608/ (hopefully the link works as an example).

It gives some explanations too. The 'anti-dumping duty' is a new one on me.

Assuming the US bike shop and your friend/relative aren't on the fiddle (declaring bike parts as samples, or at a lower value) you'll pay the same amount of tax/duty on it.
    Some retailers in the far east seem to mark things as 'personal gift' and value it lower than it really is which gets around it which is probably tax evasion.
  • damn, really, im sure ive been sent candy/soda and stuff from relatives over there in the past and never had to pay anything, unless im being retarded! but have had to when ordering golf stuff and pantry items directly from retailers in the states.
    o well guess im being an ardtard and the mists of time have made me forget the fees on the gifts.

thanks for the responses.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Yes, I bring in a lot of US engine parts for a V8 engine I have (it still works out cheaper generally than most of the shylocks over here)

So you will have to pay: Cost of goods in pounds (now this the HMRC exchange rate, not your exchange rate), the duty and the VAT... but the shipping is also included as the cost of the goods befre VAT is added... I've tried to argue with the revenue before that shipping is a service and does not alter the Value Add of the goods, I mean it is a Value Added Tax, but I was given short shrift...

If you try to have it sent as a present, even those have a maximum value before it incurs duty/VAT too. Something like £35.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • I work in shipping (imports) and what others have said is more or less accurate. Small gifts such as candy/soda that you have mentioned would be allowed through without Duty/VAT. But any item that you have bought, expect to be hit with Duty & VAT.

Duty, (the % amount depends on the type of goods) is calculated on the total value of the goods plus the shipping charges. VAT is calculated at 20% of the Goods + Shipping + Duty (yes you pay VAT on the Duty as well). Good 'ole HMRC like their pound of flesh.

30% of the value of the goods would be a fair approximation of what you could pay.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    Though sometimes you just get lucky and stuff gets through unscathed - I've bought a few trumpets from the US and at least a couple have got through without any nasty additions. But I reckon on paying roughly in £ what the pre-shipping price is in $, as a very rough guide. Oh, and don't forget the flat-rate £8.50 handling charge the Post Office charge for collecting all the fees.