Shimano slx brakes

rob27789
rob27789 Posts: 13
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
After some help with shimano slx brakes on my ghost rt 5700. Bikes brand new never used, but pulling either brake lever with just two fingers there's about 1.cm travel at the outer edge of the lever before there's any pressure but you can quite easily get the lever all the bay to the handle bar. The brakes will lock the wheels but I've not much confidence in them when I can get the lever to the bars. I've bleed them top down and also back bled with syringe and after 4 lots of 50 ml bottles of fluid there's no difference.

So any one with these brakes can they advise how much travel they should have? Otherwise the damn bikes going bike sick of it! Just doesn't seem right but they are the first time I've had hydraulic brakes maybe they should be like this?

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    you will always have some travel before they bite but should be solid when they do. if the pads are on and the lever is still moving in you have air in the system. have you set the reach adjuster all the way out ?
  • Reach adjuster full out pads are in I've been bleeding them with pads and disc put and yellow spacer in. Pulling the lever there's some movement before any resistance then it does increase but even using just 2 fingers you can pull the ever all the way to touch the bars both front and back brakes carnt be right like that surely?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Brakes need to bed in and will stiffen up when they're used. Unless the brake lever felt spongey, bleeding the brakes will have done nothing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds to me like the pads just need advancing....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.