Thin paint on my new Cove frame

Astrozombies!
Astrozombies! Posts: 55
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bought a new Cove G-Spot frame but the paint seems very thin to me.

On the sharp edged areas you can clearly see through to the darker primer.
And looking behind the seatpost shock pivot mount you can clearly see where the spray hasn't reached at all.

Cove have said this is normal and won't replace the frame but I have the option of returning it to the retailer for a refund.

If I keep it will the lack of paint cause problems with corrosion etc?

pics:

8383090845_4b82dd4c59_c.jpg
cove g spot frame thin paint 2 by astrozombies!, on Flickr

8383089239_1242008a9e_c.jpg
Cove g spot frame thin paint by astrozombies!, on Flickr

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, aluminium doesn't rust.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    As above. One of the magazines did an interview with some Canadian manufacturer and thin paint was mentioned (Cove and Devinci are known for it): apparently Canadian environmental regulations somehow mean that they have to use rubbish, but environmentally safer, paint on their bikes.
  • It's certainly poor I wouldn't be too happy espically new frame.
    However once caked in mud the eye won't see.
    Paint & finish quality is something I regular take a keen interest when looking at bikes.

The paint on my commencal chips quite easily they even give you a small pot of paint with it.
    Paint I reckon is not what it used to be mostly down to the envirnomental considerations, no?

CiF
  • Thanks for the replies - glad its nothing that will affect the bikes longevity.

Although like you say, its a tad depressing given that the frame retails for over £2000... It also just came in a box with no documentation/warranty information - not even a manual for the shock. Apparently that is also standard for Cove frames.

At the end of the day the only important thing is how it rides and how long it lasts - can't wait to try it out! Plus if the paint is crap I don't need to bother heli taping it :twisted:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Paint weighs and we all want lightweight......

Getting good coverage with water based paints (everyone has to use it these days) is much harder than with organic solvents and it is a known issue on external corners, as stated alluminium alloys don't rust so it's purely a cosmetic issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.