SPD SLs: Shimano 105 vs R540

Calpol
Calpol Posts: 1,039
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I am about to become compliant with rule #34. After 18 months in my trusty DHB MTB shoes I have ordered a pair of proper roadie shoes. Well two pairs to be exact but one one will be returned after best fit is ascertained.

My question relates to the pedals in the title - is it worth £10 more for the 105s over the entry model? I realise they will probably wear a bit better but are there any functional improvements? Anyone that has used both, i would welcome their thoughts.

Shoes will be either Specialized BG Pro or Gaerne G coste.

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Functionally the same. 105 gets you slightly higher bragging rights ( ;) ), marginally better bearings and a better more upmarket finish (for instance, the cheaper pedals won't have polished axles and may attract surface (cosmetic) rust.

For an extra tenner, I'd probably go for 105. It's a much harder justification to go from Ultegra to Dura-Ace pedals though.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    I have a completely new and unused pair of 105 pedals in black that are surplus to requirements - I bought them with my bike but then decided to stick with SPDs so they have not ever been fitted.

You can have them for £25 posted, or pick up from Bristol.
  • Calpol
    jotko wrote:
    I have a completely new and unused pair of 105 pedals in black that are surplus to requirements - I bought them with my bike but then decided to stick with SPDs so they have not ever been fitted.

Excellent - I will pm you :)
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Calpol wrote:
    jotko wrote:

Excellent - I will pm you :)

No probs - you should have a reply.
  • Erudin
    Erudin Posts: 136
    I'd go for the 105, I've got R540's and they have a hard to find plastic plate that wears and needs replacing when worn.

Shimano Spares Spare Pdr540 Adj Plate Cover code:45F 0900
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I had the same choice to make and I decided that I would go for the 105s. You are getting a fair deal from jotko - enjoy them.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    By all means get the 105 (as they have the metal cover plate) but please do not do so thinking you are getting better bearings - you are not.

FWIW my 540's have done nearly 4000miles and no issue at all.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I have both and the only real difference is the 105 looks better but doesn't work any better, that's just my opinion though.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I spent the extra £10 on the 105 pedals to match my groupset.

I promptly failed to unclip in time, fell off and scratched the hell out of the left one.

C'est la vie.
  • AFF40N
    AFF40N Posts: 33
    Get the Shimano 105's
    Merlin cycles have got them in silver and black for £31.99 :D
    Best price I could find them and this includes the cleats. :P
  • Calpol
    Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. Now the proud owner of these.

2013-01-18%2020.41.14.jpg
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    Very nice
    Which specialized are they?
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • Calpol
    p1tse wrote:
    Very nice
    Which specialized are they?
    BG Pro Road 2012
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nice!

I got ultegra and they are scuffed to sh!t. But at least they are used, eh.....
  • Excellent choice!
    May I ask where you got them from as I wish to get BG Pro road 2012 and am hunting for a bargain!
  • Calpol
    Excellent choice!
    May I ask where you got them from as I wish to get BG Pro road 2012 and am hunting for a bargain!
    Got them from Evans http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/bg-pro-road-shoe-ec025549
    Quite pricey even in the sale but am hoping they will be more shoe than I could need.
  • A bit late I know, but FWIW I have both, the R540s on my Ribble Winter Trainer and the 105s on my Scott CR1 Comp. The 105s are slightly higher spec and seem easier to clip in and out of in the same shoes but there is very little difference other than that.