commuting tyre

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
Been using swalbe (bad spell) Marathon plus tyres, they really good but very heavy and looking for something to replace them

It needs to fit my MTB, so 26 is needed, and if possible something that's faster than the marathon
Cheers
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Schwalbe Durano probably (ideally not the plus version - it's not necessary) - assuming they do come in 26.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I think there's a Marathon Race version? Again not sure if it comes in 26" though (if it exists at all!)
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Schwalbe Kojaks are lovely especially in 2" width. Even better when run tubeless 8)
  • If you want good puncture protection still, then you could try Panaracer RiBMo. They're not the lightest either but are lighter than M+ and have a semi-slick tread (which by the way might be ill-advised just at the moment!).
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I'll be getting Duranos when the snow melts.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • The duranos look good, are these ok to fit on MTB?(ie 1.6 not to narrow)
    www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-durano-perfor ... -mtb-tyre/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    corshamjim wrote:
    If you want good puncture protection still, then you could try Panaracer RiBMo. They're not the lightest either but are lighter than M+ and have a semi-slick tread (which by the way might be ill-advised just at the moment!).
    +1, very fast rolling due to the tread shape as well....mine are coping fine right now.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I will vote for the standard durano as well. Mine tend to last around 6000 miles (more when the wheels they are used with!), great grip and very few p*******s!
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Initialised
    I guess the Duranos aren't quite as puncture proof as Snow Studs or M+ but ligt and slick so should be faster on the tarmac. 26x1.1, should fit most MTB wheels no problems.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • gone for the duronos

was looking at some Continental Grand Prix Folding Tyre 26"x 11/8

but il take your advice and try these, if not il have to get the conti as i know they are good on road bike but never used on mtb before
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I guess the Duranos aren't quite as puncture proof as Snow Studs or M+ but ligt and slick so should be faster on the tarmac. 26x1.1, should fit most MTB wheels no problems.

Probably not but they do make a durano plus which should be close. for me the extra weight of the plus just a bit too much though.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Initialised
    Was going to get the 1.1 Duranos £24 each but saw 1.35 on chain reaction at£16 each. Torn.

Opine away!
  • Really where! Lol
    1.35 for £16 bargain, are they 26" though?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Really where! Lol
    1.35 for £16 bargain, are they 26" though?

Try Rose bikes or Bike24 in Germany. Much cheaper than anything you can get in the UK.