Ti 29er

Crayfish
Crayfish Posts: 225
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking for some advice on potentially buying a Ti 29er. I have searched a fair bit and am just very confused now about the Ti offerings in the UK. Loads available in the US, but not so much here it seems. I'll probably be running it singlespeed, and rigid, and fancy trying out one of those truss forks too if I could find them here. Any advice on the best places to look?
http://www.youtube.com/user/stumpy25lbs
Choose a ****ing big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose a bike. Choose some singletrack. Choose your future. Choose Life. (Irv Welsh)

Comments

• Crayfish
    DodgeT wrote:

Hmmm - thanks for the quick reply DodgeT, but I was really looking for a Frame that will allow me to run it SS I.e. horizontal drop outs or eccentric BB. Looks like a bargain though for those that want a Ti hard tail!
    Choose a ****ing big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose a bike. Choose some singletrack. Choose your future. Choose Life. (Irv Welsh)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I saw a beautiful Van Nichols Ti 29er in my Dutch LBS - no idea about the drop outs though but worth a look

God it was pretty!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    If you've done some research and found a few you like then it's just a matter of finding the distributors of those manufacturers in the UK. Even flicking through the backpages of the latest Dirt (not exactly a bastion of SS, 29er, truss-forked nichery) there are ads for shops that do Lynsky, Moots, etc. Jones are imported into Europe by one guy whose website is something like "yesweareontheinternet.com" (really). Then there are less niche brands like Van Nicholas and Salsa too.

Edit: why is the word f-l-i-c-k-i-n-g (spelled correctly, obviously) blanked?
  • Crayfish
    I've done a bit of searching already and not found much, hence my post here. Will continue searching, but wondered if anyone had experience with buying a nice Ti frame / bike recently?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is probably not what you want to hear, but I'll add my thoughts to the discussion. I have recently tested 3 titanium hardtails (Moda Solo, Ragley Blue Pig Ti, Van Nicholas Tuareg) and I just don't think they are worth the money. I found carbon to be lighter, cheaper, and some of the ti frames to be very harsh.

Unless you have your heart set on one I'd look at carbon.
  • Crayfish
    supersonic wrote:
    This is probably not what you want to hear, but I'll add my thoughts to the discussion. I have recently tested 3 titanium hardtails (Moda Solo, Ragley Blue Pig Ti, Van Nicholas Tuareg) and I just don't think they are worth the money. I found carbon to be lighter, cheaper, and some of the ti frames to be very harsh.

Unless you have your heart set on one I'd look at carbon.

I definitely find carbon too stiff when running rigid. I have a Niner SIR9 (Reynolds 853 tubing) which gives me enough compliance when using a rigid fork and I love the ride, as long as I'm not doing big rock gardens or drops of more than 2 feet. I was looking for the same type of ride, but with a lighter frame, and thought Ti would do the job. if you're telling me this is not the case I need to re-think. perhaps some Ti tubing is better than others, just like steel?
  • supersonic
    What differentiates tubing is the fabrication ie tube thicknesses and gauges. Steel, ti, alu, or carbon can all be made to be compliant or stiff. The difference with ti is that it costs a lot more.
  • Crayfish
    supersonic wrote:
    What differentiates tubing is the fabrication ie tube thicknesses and gauges. Steel, ti, alu, or carbon can all be made to be compliant or stiff. The difference with ti is that it costs a lot more.

But because Ti is stronger than steel the tubing can be made thinner than steel and therefore for the same compliance the Ti frame will be lighter.

Is there a good online supplier for a range of Ti frames?
  • ddraver
    You re buying into a certain type of riding/bike if you buy Ti. Youre not making a decision based purely on performance

Same as buying a Steel Hardtail...
    - @ddraver
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'm not sure I agree with that, I prefer the ride of my steel 456 to my carbon one, the carbon one just feels a lot harsher. That said I do like the weight of the carbon so am looking for a Ti frame as no one else makes a carbon long travel hardtail.
  • ddraver
    I'm not sure I agree with that, I prefer the ride of my steel 456 to my carbon one, the carbon one just feels a lot harsher. That said I do like the weight of the carbon so am looking for a Ti frame as no one else makes a carbon long travel hardtail.

Well OK, but if you were racing....

Same as the 29 vs 26 debate, what's fastest and what's fun.
    - @ddraver
  • miker
    miker Posts: 177
    bf6d2d341fa31b5c86d301a60844ba0c.jpg
  • supersonic
    Crayfish wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

But because Ti is stronger than steel the tubing can be made thinner than steel and therefore for the same compliance the Ti frame will be lighter.

Is there a good online supplier for a range of Ti frames?

Ti is not 'stronger' than steel - high end steels have higher ultimate tensile strength than any titanium. It does, however, have the advantage of been less dense with higher elongation figures. Typically though it can be made into lighter frames than steel, but alu and carbon can be a lot lighter still for a given amount of flex.
  • Crayfish
    miker wrote:
    bf6d2d341fa31b5c86d301a60844ba0c.jpg

Yeah - that's what I'm talkin' about! Who's the best retailer of these in the UK, and are they ever discounted??
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Again, not what you want to hear; but when I looked in to Ti frames, I discovered there is (still) quite a high failure %.

Of the four common materials used, I have to say Ti would by my last choice.
  • Crayfish
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Again, not what you want to hear; but when I looked in to Ti frames, I discovered there is (still) quite a high failure %.

Really?? Can you quote your sources / provide links?
  • miker
    http://www.hotlines-uk.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=888

Hotlines are UK importers, not much discount unless you know someone in the US who can buy it and then ship it on to you.
  • miker
    Oh Lynskey have a lifetime warranty on their frames too.
  • Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Crayfish
    ^^^ that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks mate.
  • supersonic
    The tubes look reasonably narrow so might be a sprightly ride, but I would try and test one.