Winter Gloves

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
I know the topic has been discussed many many times, but can I just a few recommendations please.

My current gloves are OK down to about 2 or 3 degrees...then I get numb fingers. Last Friday was a nightmare, I went running after work and got cold, I then got staight on the bike (in warm clothing) and cycled home. I had to stop half way and try to warm my hands up, I couldn't operate the brakes any longer.

Looking for warm gloves, (£40 or less if possible) and hate the ones where the linings come out every time you take them off, good dexterity would be good too. Ideally Wiggle would sell them because I have vouchers, that's not the deal breaker though, I just need warm hands.

Ta in advance.

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    very happy with my Northwave Artics. cheap as chips too.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    shimano lobster gloves. Brilliant with excellent dexterity.

Start to get too toasty around 5 C
  • Not less than £40, nor do I think you can get them on Wiggle, but if you really suffer then the Assos Fugu gloves are worth the investment. I have Raynauds (I once stopped a ride in tears) and when I put them on it is rare for me to even get cold hands, they are quite simply amazing. And because they aren't lobsters the bulk doesn't stop you from using the levers. The other side I have found is that by keeping my extremities warm, the rest of me stays warmer too and I can go much longer without feeling the cold. Particularly worth it if you also do big rides at the weekend...
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • 'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    IMHO Alturas are pretty good down to 5 degrees. It gets a bit iffy below that.
    Because I was cycling at less that 5 degrees and have always suffered from cold hands, I splurged on the Assos Fugus. Yes, they are expensive but they are very, very good. The Alturas haven't been used since.
    Everybody has different tolerances and bank balances so YMMV.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • If you've got big hands, these are pretty good: http://www.totalcycling.com/brands/pro/ ... XPERT.html

I bought 'em around November and have found them too warm apart from the week or two before xmas and this week.

They've also got these, if you're more of an XL http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/gloves/ ... IMATE.html
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Don't suffer from cold hands and am still using Endura Dexter's down to about -5, after which I've got some warmer gloves.

Feet on the other hand are the bane of my winter riding.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i have ultra grip sealskinz

ok in the rain but pants in the cold, probably ok down to about 5c any colder an you end up with borderline frostbite in your fingers
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If you have gloves already then lobsters worn over the top are a great upgrade and even Assos lobsters can be had for £20.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    i have ultra grip sealskinz

ok in the rain but pants in the cold, probably ok down to about 5c any colder an you end up with borderline frostbite in your fingers

I've got these and I've never felt remotely cold in them, including this morning which was 0c I think with a windchill making it lower.

They do make your hands a bit sweaty though - but I only notice that when I take them off.

Glad to hear they're waterproof, not tested them in heavy rain yet!
  • If you have gloves already then lobsters worn over the top are a great upgrade and even Assos lobsters can be had for £20.

Is it possible to operate STI's with Lobsters on?

Gloves that is, not a crustacean hanging off me fingers!
  • meanredspider
    Is it possible to operate STI's with Lobsters on?

Absolutely. Assos don't recognise any other sort of bike as far as I'm aware :wink:

They take a tiny bit of getting used to because you have to use your fingers in pairs but I think that they are great.

Put it this way: this morning I had the choice of my Assos Fugus or Early Winter/Lobster combo - I went with the lobster option.

Another thought, depending upon how tight your other glove is, is to try a liner glove. Thin runners' gloves are good value or buy a purpose-made thing
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Is it possible to operate STI's with Lobsters on?

Absolutely. Assos don't recognise any other sort of bike as far as I'm aware :wink:

They take a tiny bit of getting used to because you have to use your fingers in pairs but I think that they are great.

Put it this way: this morning I had the choice of my Assos Fugus or Early Winter/Lobster combo - I went with the lobster option.

Another thought, depending upon how tight your other glove is, is to try a liner glove. Thin runners' gloves are good value or buy a purpose-made thing

Exactly why I need new goves. My running gloves make perfect liners, my current gloves are too tight to put them under. So now I'm thinking running gloves as liners and some lobsters of some description. Would never have thought choosing gloves could be so difficult, I guess it's because everyone is different in terms of heat generation.
  • meanredspider
    Hmm - unless your running gloves are reasonably warm, I wouldn't go down the lobster route. That would be like wearing a base-layer and a rain shell with no jersey/jacket. If you have liner gloves already, I'd just go with something like Assos Early Winter glove (I think it's even just about in your budget) or Gore equivalent large enough to wear the liner glove underneath. The Early Winter is a fantastic glove BTW - so versatile
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    Just got these and I think they are fantastic :D , great fit and nice and toasty and other than the 'Spook' comments to start with a brilliant addition to any winter wardrobe.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/p/20046/cra ... ger-glove/