Can't get into lowest gears - Rear Derailleur indexing?

robocat
robocat Posts: 3
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

I just fitted a new SRAM 7 rear derailleur and cable to my Boradman hardtail and I can't get into the two lowest gears. I used the limiter screws to get into the highest gears, but the low limiter and barrel have had little effect. When shifting from high to low I can hear a couple of clicks before the chain moves from high to low (9 to 8), so I assume this is the problem, but now idea how to fix this. :?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Read park tools on how to index gears
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not shifting into the low gears is normally lack of tension in the cable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1..
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks guys - increased the tension, followed by Park guidance, but still can't get into the bottom two gears - I assume I have some problem with the deraillieur itselfs.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Unscrew both limits. Undo cable completely and push the mech with your hand to see if the top jockey makes it in line with each of the outer cogs.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Does it shift iinto next from highest gear on the first click of the shifter?
    Does it then shift all the way to 3rd (3rd largest rear sprocket) correctly?
    What EXACTLY happens when you try and shift into 2nd? (shifter feel, etc etc)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.