Some road tyres needed

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I'm possibly doing a 100 mile road ride soon, and need some road type tyres. Anyone know what sort of tyre will cut it and can be fitted to a 26" MTB rim?

Don't really want to spend much as won't use them much. I briefly considered getting a road bike but I don't think I'd use it much.

Thanks
Dan

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For a single 100mile ride, I'd suggest Schwalbe city jets as they are the cheapest worth buying, that or look for some used!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stevext
    stevext Posts: 27
    Hi

I used to use continental 1.5" tyres with the kevlar belt (gatorskins i think), not too pricey with the steel bead. A bit more money than cheap tyres but well worth it for the lack of punctures during your ride.

Good luck.

stevext
  • I have Conti Travel Contacts for my annual long trip away (coast-2-coast last year, Holland this year).
    Friend has Gatorskins. Both roll-well and are puncture protected.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    +1 For the Schwalbe City Jets.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    DanDax1990 wrote:

+2
  • ive put some nutraks on the wifes commuter, cheap as chips, sub £15 for the pair 18 months ago, spot on for road use,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I have used city jets and land cruisers, both puncture free.
  • Thanks for the recommendations.

Am I going to get left behind big time if I ride an MTB with road tyres along with a group of roadies on proper road bikes?

I'm wondering whether the £30 it will cost for tyres would be better spent on hiring a road bike instead for the day.

Thanks
    Dan
  • zx6man
    Depends on how fit you are really, but 100 mile on a mtb will exhaust you well before a road bike will. Also depends on the specifics of the 100 miler ? What is it?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DanDax1990 wrote:

+2

+3 - covered many thousands of miles on them when I commuted on my MTB and the rear still has thousands in it (front looks hardly worn)
    Am I going to get left behind big time if I ride an MTB with road tyres along with a group of roadies on proper road bikes?

I'm wondering whether the £30 it will cost for tyres would be better spent on hiring a road bike instead for the day.

Yes, probably. 100 miles on an MTB will be hard work and painful without the hand position options. You may not fully appreciate the expense if you do go for the road bike hire, but if you ride the 100 on the MTB you'll bitterly regret not having hired the road bike! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Its a proper event I'm thinking of doing. I did know what it was called but can't for the life of me remember now. Its on Sunday 21st April and starts from Shenstone near Lichfield.

It might be Derbyshire something or other. I couldn't find reference to it anywhere online.

Aaah found it! http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-125/
  • zx6man
    not sure which would be more comfortable to be honest if the using the MTB or hiring a road bike for the day the you are't used to.
  • The Rookie
    I wouldn't be doing an Audax on an MTB, beg, borrow or hire a road bike, you could still swap the saddle over from your MTB for the day.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    +1 for conti travel contacts light fast and one of the most puncture proof tyres you can buy , cost a bit though .....

i wouldnt worry about 100 miles on a mtb with road tyres, as long as your reasonably fit youll be fine, ive done a few long trips on mine and did the c2c last year with no probs

ive since bought a road bike and will be using that next time though.........
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • tarbot18 wrote:

i wouldnt worry about 100 miles on a mtb with road tyres, as long as your reasonably fit youll be fine, ive done a few long trips on mine and did the c2c last year with no probs

ive since bought a road bike and will be using that next time though.........

Its not the distance that I'm worried about, have done 65 miles before combo of road and canals and that was with knobblies on. What I am worried about is keeping up! I don't want to be riding the whole thing on my own chasing everyone else.
  • The Rookie
    Which is why I suggested a roadie, if the bulk of the field is the same fitness as you and on road bikes you won't stay with them......