How to ride fast

newtocycling
newtocycling Posts: 4
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I am totally new to cycling, so I have borrowed my friend's bike - Cannondale Caad 5 -- Shimano 105 group -- 10 gears... looks fairly old...

I have adjusted saddle height, lubricated the bike, etc... but for some reason I don't think I am fast enough on a flat london roads... others on road bike goes zoom past me and within seconds they are out of my sight ... furthermore, those riding hybrids and mountain bike seems faster than me ...

not sure is it because I have just started riding... or is it the bike... or what?

Any advice will be appreciated?

Image - http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/wp-content ... e_3_hi.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    well if your new then thats the reason,it takes a while to build up your fitness for cycling.Best advice,ride ride ride.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Nothing wrong with a CAAD 5, have you tried pedalling harder?
  • It's not the bike; it almost never is. Fitness, strength, flexibility and endurance all take time to develop. Don't blame the tools but don't blame yourself either; you can't expect to transform overnight.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    ^^ this

You're completely new to it and have lots to learn yet, and lots of muscles to develop. Compare yourself after a few weeks of regular riding and you'll be going faster without it seeming any harder. Keep riding, the body will adjust and adapt :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Guys... thanks a lot for your prompt response!! I'll definitely keep riding and hopefully will get better with time...

@ShutUpLegs - at the moment I am pedalling at nominal speed... if I pedal at higher speed I may exhaust quickly... but I'll keep working towards it...Thanks!

Just hoping for this weather to get warmer soon :)

Thank You!!
  • That's a lovely bike by the way :-)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Bloody hell, that looks enormous! How tall are you??
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    It doubles as a farm gate when he's not riding
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Definitely not the bike
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    It'll be your fitness, but if you put the miles in you will soon notice an increase in pace.
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • thanks guys!!

the picture i posted is not of my bike... mine in 56 frame size... and saddle height adjusted according to 109% rule...my height is 175 cm

thanks!
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    thanks guys!!

the picture i posted is not of my bike... mine in 56 frame size... and saddle height adjusted according to 109% rule...my height is 175 cm

thanks!
    Check your seat height with heel on pedal method as well, i always found the 109 % method was a good 1 cm to low for me ,i found the seat height from Bottom bracket of inside leg x.889 more comfy for me which came within 1 mm of the heel on pedal method .
    http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html
    FCN 3/5/9
  • What tyre pressure are you running?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you haven't got a sports background then it'll be down to both fitness plus adaption to cycling - you need to increase both the strength in key muscles as well as develop the synapses to make they fire in the right order. The simple answer is ride more as there's no better way.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..