1st ride how far

skinnydog1973
skinnydog1973 Posts: 114
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I am just about to get my first bike and also the first time i have ever been on the road quite a stupid question but how far would you recommend to go on my first ride,should i take it easy or go as far as i can,

Comments

• snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    As far as you want but make sure you have enough energy to get home.
  • Mark_P
    Mark_P Posts: 51
    It depends on how good you are recognising your aerobic limit. Personally, I'd suggest a 10km circuit or so. Aim to go around once, and then if you're comfortable go round again until you start to feel tired. Avoid over-doing it, or you might find it hard to get back on the bike next time. You should soon feel your fitness level increasing. Enjoy!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Get a small loop around your house (say 3 or 4 miles) and then cycle round it as many times as you feel you can. That way you are never very far from home and can head back whenever you need to.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ac2709
    ac2709 Posts: 8
    As above. Go as far as you feel you can, making sure you can hack the ride back (keep in mind the wind).
  • thanks for this cant believe the snow is going to knock me back a bit lol
  • sancho_uk
    sancho_uk Posts: 141
    Although i`m a fellow beginner the above advice is spot on..

I went on my first ride on my bike on Saturday with two friends have been riding a bit.. They very kindly (sarcastically) took me on a 25 mile loop.. Although i managed it after about 20/22 miles my legs were gone.. I pretty much coasted the final 3 miles..

I think had i been much further away from home i would of started to feel a bit anxious because when you hit the drop off on your first ride you really do! (from personal experience anyway)
    Focus Cayo 2.0 Ultegra 2012
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    thanks for this cant believe the snow is going to knock me back a bit lol

Rules 5&9 :lol:

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
  • nmt
    nmt Posts: 88
    I am just about to get my first bike and also the first time i have ever been on the road quite a stupid question but how far would you recommend to go on my first ride,should i take it easy or go as far as i can,

As suggested don't do too far, On my first ride back in October (and i'm not at all fit) i just headed out and kept going ended up 12 mile from home and i must say i didn't think i was going to make it back i was absolutely knackered, The only saving grace was the ride was out of west yorks into north yorks and they were flat roads any decent hill and i think i would have been screwed :lol:
  • I warmed up a few nights with 3 and 6 mile jaunts with my son. They helped me set the bike up, get used to the gears, brakes, etc. Saturday morning - all layered up - I made 29 miles

If you've not started using Strava, then use use use it. Great fun.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/37234981
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I had a couple of rides in the streets around my house just to make sure that I still knew how to ride a bike but my first proper ride was 15 miles. I am fairly slim but after years of inactivity I was pretty unfit as well. I didn't find my first ride particularly arduous except for one short 10% hill. I felt like I was going to have a heart attack by the time I got to the top.

What I would suggest is to pick a route of whatever length you choose, but make sure that you don't stray too far from where you live and that way, you won't face the ignominy of having to phone your wife to fetch you in the car ;). Also try to start off by heading uphill, that way you can coast home if you really have to.

+1 for Strava by the way. Even knowing that I am not the slowest rider in my area has given me heart.
  • tetley10
    Just try and stay at a constant speed. Don't empty the tank too early.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Just start with a manageable circuit, say 10 miles, and enjoy the ride. Ride at an easy pace, stop as many times as you like - don't worry about your speed or anything like that. Then gradually build from there in future rides.
  • Mark_P
    Mark_P Posts: 51
    Nothing wrong with knowing your limits. Then follow rule #5.
  • tetley10
    Mark_P wrote:
    Nothing wrong with knowing your limits. Then follow rule #5.

:lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,167
    Just start with a manageable circuit, say 10 miles, and enjoy the ride. Ride at an easy pace, stop as many times as you like - don't worry about your speed or anything like that. Then gradually build from there in future rides.

This. A loop that is long enough to not get boring but short enough that you can easily get back if you start struggling. Enjoy the riding and build up gently.
  • Try this link

http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/even ... edule.aspx

I used the beginners one, it really helped me out.
    Wilier La Triestina
    Specialized Tarmac Comp
  • My 1st ride was a 20 miler loop ,

got round it fine , after coming back and having a drink with the rest of the lads at out stopping point , biked home the last mile and me legs went , nearly had to get off and walk
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Would it not be better to get used to the bikes handling and brakes etc before going out on a long ride? Get comfortable and make sure its set up for you properly before you go off too far. If its set up wrong you could give yourself back or leg pain. Take it for a quick spin before you set off into the u loo
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Would it not be better to get used to the bikes handling and brakes etc before going out on a long ride?

I think this is sound advice.

My last bike was a long time ago and it had shifters on the downtubes and flat pedals. I could also stay in the saddle with one foot on the ground (yes, the saddle probably was too low). When I got my current bike, I went for a couple of short rides around my home to make sure I could judge braking distances, change gear properly and stop without falling in a heap (something I wanted to avoid in front of witnesses or vehicles that might squash me).

Once I was slightly confident I could do all these things at least well enough not to endanger myself, I went for a proper ride and I have to say, it was worth waiting for.
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    Rather than distance I headed away from home and then looped back, knowing the area
    It ended up being an hour in time and 12miles
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • Thanks for all the comments i have now bought some equipment and i cant wait to get out there and give it a go if only this weather would clear off