Beginner road biking question

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

I am considering getting a road bike. I already have a mountain bike, and am reasonably fit.

I was looking at the Triban 3. My mountain bike is also a Decathlon one, and I can't fault it. So for £300 the Triban 3 looks like good value.

My question is whether the gearing is the right gearing for me. I see most road bikes have 2 chainrings, whereas the Triban 3 has 3 chainrings (not sure on the ratios). As I'm reasonably fit already from the mountain biking, am I going to regret getting the more beginner targeted gearing on the Triban 3?

Thanks
Dan

Comments

• I think for the money its fantastic spec. i wouldnt worry about it being a tripple. i've had a tripple before and just never used the granny ring. im not sure you'll get much more bang for your buck with any other bike so i'd go for it.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    It is probably my (lack of) fitness as a road beginner but I have at times appreciated the triple on the triban.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    A triple offers more flexibility in gearing options (so it covers what a compact would plus some) so it will not hinder you in your road biking expolits.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Thanks, looks like thats the one for me then. Anyone know what the chainrings are and the range on the cassette?
  • Xherdan
    Xherdan Posts: 48
    smidsy wrote:
    A triple offers more flexibility in gearing options (so it covers what a compact would plus some) so it will not hinder you in your road biking expolits.

+1

I'm new to this and started on compact, 50/34 with a 12-25 cassette. The Btwin has a 50/39/30 and a 12-25 cassette so it has all the gears mine has and more...

Edit: By new to this I mean I started back in August so I have had a decent amount of time to decide if the gearing is alright for me.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    I am new to cycling and got a Scott Speedster S55. A triple, 52x42x30 coupled with a 11-28T cassette. I don't regret my purchase at all. With this configuration I feel I can tackle almost anything without having to do the "Walk of Shame"
    I do spend most of my time on the middle ring but the safety net is there if needed.
    I would rather use low gears and enjoy my cycling than tough it out and feel demoralised.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    buy buy buy
  • smidsy
    Went into Decathalon today to get some more base layers and the Triban 3 was £175, is that right??
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy
    Well anyone who want's one they have them with £175 displayed on the ticket at the Wednesbury Store. You may be able to convince them they have to sell it at the advertised price. (yes I know legally they do not).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dave27
    dave27 Posts: 35
    Ballysmate wrote:

The prices can sometimes be lower instore than online. I use the Glasgow store when up that way with work and the deals can be better on some items. If sale items have been reduced for a while, the store will discount further.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I know I am a bit bike crazy and spend a lot on my equipment - that said I had a look at the guy who sits next to me new Triban3. As a general rule I thought it was excellent for the money and a good weight. But I did have doubts over the drive train - it just didn't look that strong - I felt it would end up needing a lot of "maintenance" - cant argue with the value for money though.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    jonomc4 wrote:
    . But I did have doubts over the drive train - it just didn't look that strong - I felt it would end up needing a lot of "maintenance" - cant argue with the value for money though.

Not sure I agree with that, the gears are bog standard Shimano bottom of the range stuff used on loads of bikes and as long as the bb is of reasonable quality it'll probably outlast the hollowtechs I've got on my other road bikes.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    Most of the people I know who have Triban 3s say it's the wheels that are the weak point, especially if you're a heavier rider (don't know if you are or not). Just something to bear in mind. You might need to get handy with a spoke wrench, or set aside some money for a new wheelset if the stock ones let you down.
  • Hopefully you wont fall in love with road cycling or else your going to seriously regret spending that 300 squids.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    pride4ever wrote:
    Hopefully you wont fall in love with road cycling or else your going to seriously regret spending that 300 squids.

:D agreed, my " I'm starting cycling just going to buy a cheap bike and some bib shorts"

Has turned into " mmmm if I decorate the hall and build you a downstairs toilet, can I have £3000 for a bike, and Yes that is a new pair of oakleys. And I know it says £80 on the label of that jersey but it was in the sale"
  • smidsy
    boogi11 wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:
    Hopefully you wont fall in love with road cycling or else your going to seriously regret spending that 300 squids.

:D agreed, my " I'm starting cycling just going to buy a cheap bike and some bib shorts"

Has turned into " mmmm if I decorate the hall and build you a downstairs toilet, can I have £3000 for a bike, and Yes that is a new pair of oakleys. And I know it says £80 on the label of that jersey but it was in the sale"

A slippery slope indeed. I started cycling a year ago as a compromise with the wife (apparantly £4k for a 10 year old Ducati was unwarranted) and I have now spent more than that on cycling since :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    smidsy wrote:
    boogi11 wrote:
    A slippery slope indeed. I started cycling a year ago as a compromise with the wife (apparantly £4k for a 10 year old Ducati was unwarranted) and I have now spent more than that on cycling since :shock:
    At least that money has been spent extending your life expectancy instead of shortening it :D .
  • smidsy
    lotus49 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    boogi11 wrote:
    At least that money has been spent extending your life expectancy instead of shortening it :D .

I suppose, but try as I might I simply can not replicate the V-twin thud and dry clutch rattle.

I tend to get some funny looks too :P
    Yellow is the new Black.