Vittoria Zaffiro Slick Wired Tyre

uphillslowly
uphillslowly Posts: 46
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
After a bit of advice on these tyres.
Mrs Slowly came home from work today with these tyres for me, someone she works with gave them to her to give to me. (I must have been a good boy recently).
They are 700x25mm, and I was wondering if they are any good for this time of year as they are slicks?
Thanks in advance
UHS

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    After a bit of advice on these tyres.
    Mrs Slowly came home from work today with these tyres for me, someone she works with gave them to her to give to me. (I must have been a good boy recently).
    They are 700x25mm, and I was wondering if they are any good for this time of year as they are slicks?
    Search the other threads on winter tires, tread makes no difference on a road bike tire. The idea of a tread pattern on a car tire is to stop aqua-planing on top of water because the tire is so wide. On a mountain bike it is to grip rocks and throw off mid.

On a road bike the tire is too narrow to aqua-plane and shouldn't need to grip rocks or throw mud. So slick tires are the normal for all conditions - except snow and ice. If you are going to ride narrow tires on snow and ice the you need studded tires - a tread pattern on 25mm tires will do nothing.

Now that said, back to the vittoria zaffiro. They are cheap as chips at about £7 per tire. Reviews are mixed but most say you get what you pay for. So for what you've paid (nowt) you've got yourself a bargin, but not that much of one.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    theyre called tyres round here, lad.

thats T-Y-R-E-S
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470

thats T-Y-R-E-S

* They're, *That's - if you're going to be fussy! ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928

thats T-Y-R-E-S
    You're assuming I'm from the UK, I could be a Yank living in England :o
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Gizmodo wrote:

thats T-Y-R-E-S
    You're assuming I'm from the UK, I could be a Yank living in England :o

Nah, you can write and everything :P :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Does anybody else have any experience with these tyres?
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    yes, they're an ok, cheap training tyre-fine for the winter. :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    I gave up on mine after 6 punctures in 5 days. Changed to Continental Gatorskins a couple of days ago which seem to be holding up OK.